Chapter 20- Blood is Thicker than Water

So. long.

I was so tired. So, so tired.

Haku knew it too, but I couldn't ask him to fly, not yet. Not when there was still such a long way to go. I'd walk, and I would continue to walk till I couldn't any longer. Honestly? I'd rather travel solely for this journey, because if there was an emergency then Haku would have the energy to get Kiseki out of here.

A hole in my chest, an emptiness I couldn't quite place. With my family with me, I usually felt so whole. But something was missing. something I felt as though I had forgotten. Which confused me...

Haku stirred upon me, his left hand gripping my fur on my shoulder as he continued to clutch onto Kiseki. Soft snores escaped the little girls mouth, her gentle breaths tickling my neck. A small chuckle left me, rumbling through my body.

Another days march, is what the distance I estimated. Of course, with nothing else to do other than walk, I began to run over what had happened over the past few months.

First, Kiseki had arrived. Our miracle, had come back into our lives. We hadn't questioned it then, not when emotions were running so high. She was a precious gem that had to be protected at all costs, which is exactly what we did. Of course our trust had to built from scratch, and eventually when it did she gave us the amulet. The Aita. A jewels key that Haku refuses me to touch or handle.

We went to the Oxyn Oak, after we discovered the parchment of paper within that held the riddle. It didn't add up to anything though, at least not get. Aku has been of no help to our quest, except for a few new battle scars. The Aita, a key, a key had to open something.

Maybe Yubaba would know what it opened.

The memory of my amulet stinging me at the sight of the Aita came back. They were hardly related... were they?

I shook my head, not a chance. But why were spirits missing? Vanishing without a trace and no warnings? And... Lin. It'd be ok, it would have to be.

A felt a vibration folding through my paws. My brows furrowed when I heard the rumbling of the train. "Wake up!!" I shouted as I began to sprint down the tracks. Haku stirred and tiredly lifted his head, it took him a moment to realise what was happening before he held Kiseki tighter to his body. "Y/N, I'm going to tighten the bags just a bit more, we will just have to get a bit wet but-" I grunted in disagreement and stopped running. I turned to face the train as it barrelled towards us. "Y/N... what are you doing?" Haku clutched onto my neck and Kiseki awoke. "Momma!?" she screamed hiding her face in my fur. I began to run towards the train, long strides eating the tracks as the machine drove on.

"Y/N!" Haku roared holding onto Kiseki as I leaped towards the train. Quickly I used the momentum to climb the train, and once we were on the roof of the carriages, I lay down.

Haku rose from his position on my back, laughing at the madness of it he ran a hand through his raven locks. "You really are something, my love." He peppered kisses along my cheek, and Kiseki gave a nervous little laugh. The train would be passing by the marsh, and since we didn't have a ticket this was a best chance.

Nighttime crawled across the sky, like a mother tucking her child into a blanket. A warm breeze shot through us on top of the train, only a few hours before we arrived left. Haku and Kiseki were snuggled up at my stomach, using my body heat as a source of heat. I myself was beginning to get drowsy.

As my eyes began to drop closed, a light appeared before me. A warmth, that was surprisingly familiar. I lifted my gaze to look at the life spirit Shin'yu. The spirit whom I had met when I had... died.

I wasn't afraid, strangely enough I trusted this spirit. He had given me advice, that I would never forget.

"Time is not your enemy, it is your friend."

It had made sense then, but now I felt as though it had lost its meaning.

I bowed my head in respect, the voice i had heard after my untimely death spoke. "I was never formal with you, why are you formal with me now?" the blunt question shocked me slightly.

"Because it is only manners, Spirit. The arrogance of a human can only stretch so far." I smirked now looking at the floating orb. A chuckle resonated from the light, and it lowered and dimmed every so slightly. "Why have you come to us now, Shin'yu?"

"Because it seems as though the forces are working against you, children." I raised a brow, when were they not working against us? "Have you any clue what you are subjecting yourselves into?"

Slowly, I shook my head. I had no idea what was going to transpire later on. It always seemed this way, that I had no idea what troubles I would be getting into. What disasters would take place.

Shin'yu sighed, his presence becoming slightly fainter. "I can not stay for much longer, Y/N, but what I came to say is this; Blood is thicker than water, but water keeps a being alive." The ball of light began to flicker and his voice grew light and nearly audible "Make of that what you will, good luck-" and with that he vanished. The orb diminished to nothing, and I felt Haku stir at my side.

Blood is thicker than water?

I looked to my family, sound asleep as the marsh came into view. The sea began to fade behind as we entered the humid canopy of trees that led to the witch sisters home.

"Only time would tell." I supposed, and began to wake his sleeping form with a slight nudge to his cheek.

A/N

wow look at that, i ain't dead.

surprise.

i can see your happy about that, i know you are. (please say you are i'm very sad rn)

anyways love you lots and all that jazz.

cookies and cream,

-AA