Chapter 15- The Oxyn Oak

Weeks have passed of training, learning and discovering the trueness of my abilities. Its disconcerting to say the least, being able to spit fire from my mouth and grow its orange flower in my hands. Never the less, it felt like I was unleashing emotions, anger and sadness all at the same time. Yet I had to control my feelings, for if I did not, I let go of my power, and could easily hurt somebody.

Haku never leaves, he understands the hardship of new powers. He tells me that when he began to unleash such abilities he had a horrific time trying to control himself. His description of the torture, ''At least you can tame a fire, you can only barricade a river''.

Words of wisdom that.

Now I sat beside Haku, Kiseki was playing with some children in the gardens while Haku and I stare at the piece of parchment. A letter from his sister Aku. Their mother was very creative with names. Its words were disconcerting. Her message, had many hidden secrets. It read,

"Behind a great oak as old as time, this is where you begin your rhyme. But fear not my friend, for this is not the end. At the end of your travels, a seeker will appear. She is all but good, she is wrong and right. You are the judge of her doings. Go and discover the mystery and perhaps save the world, before chaos reigns, and the day suffers to night...

I'm waiting for you brother,

-Aku"

We have been sitting staring at these words for over an hour, trying to figure out what it meant. Dawn was approaching and we didn't want to be up during the day. Yet, here we were trying to crack the code in this deranged riddle.

''You never said you had a sister'' I glance at him with a sidelong glance. He smirks a sad kind of way and puts down the small scroll. ''She isn't my most favored family member''. I look at him with slight confusion, ''You have more family?''

''No, she's all I've got.''

At this I simply nod. There was obviously history there but judging by Hakus' stone cold face. This was not the time. ''We should continue with the riddle?...'' This distraction is welcomed with open arms as Haku unrolls the scroll once again. Staring at the long spindly letters, I begin to ponder. ''She hardly means the Oxyn Oak...?'' The Oxyn Oak was an Oak tree with almost black bark and leaves. It was a mystery but judging by this letter, it seemed to give plenty of clues. ''Day suffers to night'' I point at the words, ''The daylight doesn't shine off of the Oxyn Oak like the other vegetation. Plus that thing is old as time. It must be there!'' Haku turns to face me, ''Lets put Kiseki to bed, then we will leave.''

As Haku kisses Kiseki's head goodnight we slipped out of the Aburaya. Lin agreed to stay with Kiseki while we were out, she truly was a great friend. We shifted the minute we exited the doors and began to walk down the abandoned fair ground street. Haku slithered along beside my long strides. We did not speak, instead we journeyed in silence. Then again we could not speak in the matter if a spirit heard us. Even though they were asleep, I had no doubt a few stayed awake a little after dawn.

We glide through long grass, our elegant bodies silent and deadly. Haku was only a rustle in the grass whilst I towered above the greenery. ''I see it ahead'' He stops and climbs onto his hind legs.Upon spotting the black tree he nods at me and takes off full speed to the tree. I gallop after him, keeping pace easily with long strides. The sun splits the earth, its beams lighting the dusky red morning.

A long black shadow seems to grow with every step me and Haku take, ahead the looming branches of the Oxyn Oak frown down upon us. He glances at me before sniffing around the roots. I stay staring at the tarnished bark, if only trees could speak. This Oak could tell me real stories. Black bark that no one knew how it existed. This tree was a mystery. A true magnificent thing. Some say it would be considered ugly, brutal and even frightening. Yet i see the beauty in the tarnished wood. An age it had been living, shadowing this grass land and acting as a protector. To me, I found home in its gnarled bark.

A timid growl came from behind the tree, nudging me into movement. Snaking my way against the bark I peered to where Haku was on his hind quarters staring blandly at the woman before him. Her hair a honey brown, eyes stormy blue as her lips twisted into a smile. She smirked upon seeing me and spun back to Haku. A low growl ran up the length of my throat but I leashed it. Instead, I stood beside Haku. We stared at the woman with distaste in our eyes.

"How nice it is to see you too, brother" Haku snorted in response and shifted to human form. I stayed a dragon. "Always a pleasure" Haku responded and stood an inch in front of me. "So, you found our riddle" Aku smirked her red tinted lips parting to show white teeth. "Our?" Haku pushed and his sister all but shook her head. "Nothing that you need to know as of now. I suppose you brought the charm that was around your daughters neck?" Her devilish smile was hideous. A beautiful deceit to her cunning wolf like ways. "What role do you play in this scheme, sister?" His words were icy. Icy and cold.

That's when his sister showed her animal side. She lunges for me her body changing into a gargantuan wolf, half the size of me.

And that's how we began a war.

A/N
Well. I uh- I have no clue what to say to you. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for 30k reads on Spirited Away by the Shadows!!!

I will see you next time!

-AA