Chapter 27- To the Mountains

Darkness was all that consumed us now. It was in the twilight hours when we reached the edge of the march. My legs ached and my eyes were barely open as I watched the salt water lick the sands edges. ''Come on Love, sleep on me till get there.'' Haku stood awaiting, all four legs planted as I secured his sword on my back and the bags to his hips. Where even was our final destination? What was our plan? Zeniba had given us a rough estimate as to where they were, her connection with Yubaba was holding on by a thin thread, her sisters magic dwindling. We had been told that they were somewhere in the mountains, south of the marsh. These mountains, more commonly known as the Junori Peaks, were a cold a desolate place. Their conditions harsh and unforgiving. To climb those cliffs faces was going to be a challenge in itself, but that's why I needed to rest now. The fire I could summon would keep us warm, at least warm enough so we didn't freeze to death.

But then there was the issue of what to do when we did get there. We didn't know what to expect, did they have a fortress? A cave of evil? An old cottage with a surgical table in the centre? It was obvious that they were in danger, their lives being threatened and Yubaba's already deteriorating.

I climbed onto his back, gripping white fur as I lay across him. Taking off into the sky with little effort, we were soon soaring above the clouds. ''Do you think we can make it in time Haku?'' My voice was small, weak almost while I closed my eyes and relaxed. This very well could be the last time I hold onto him like this, or how we fly together through a night sky over fluffy white clouds.

''I know-'' He went silent for a moment, allowing it to sit that he was certain of what he was about to say, ''We will get there in time. And I know that we will be bringing our whole family back to the Aburaya. Together.'' Sighing I slid my fingers down his skin, down through the fur and held on. This simple embrace may of been our final one, but I would cherish every moment if that was the future's reality.

Dawn began to make her appearance as the sun haloed the peaks. The snow sparkled beneath her rays of light, shimmering onto the bay below. A thunderstorm was looming near, its black rolling clouds screamed doom and thunder as they drew nearer. It looked about a day away, from this angle at least. But that was not to say it wouldn't come sooner. Storms like that, so big and brutal could make up time a lot faster than you would expect them too.

This would be our second time rushing into the face of death, right to his jaws and down his throat. How many time's had we to do this before it was enough, before it was our final time? This is it. I'd tell myself. This right here is your final hour of heroism.
It didn't feel like that though, this felt like impending doom. Like the literal dark clouds hanging above the mountains.  That feeling of finality hung in the air.

Haku was making good time to the highest peak, we decided that this would be the best place to begin our search. Start high and then to go low would be easier then the opposite way around.
The air was getting cold, bitter. It was hard to stay alert when my fingers were beginning to numb. The sky darkened like the worlds eyes were closing for its slumber. A dragon waiting for his next meal of chaos.

Haku circled a ledge, his body swirling gracefully before his claws sunk into the rock and ice. "This will be impossible." I whispered hopping off his back. My feet slipped beneath me, the ice bringing me to the ground. Haku wrapped his tail around my waist, hoisting me back onto his back.
"Stay on me till we circle the mountain."
"Are you sure? I could trek it instead."
"We don't have that kind of time, darling. Hold on."

Without much of a conversation left, we took off back into the sky only staying closer the the cliffs edge. The winds were brutal, slicing their way through our beings and causing me to shake and shiver. How distasteful, having a secret lair in a mountain range. The Junori Peaks were treacherous, foreboding. Perfect place really for evil happenings.

But in all seriousness, this situation was dire. A deep breath calmed my roaring nerves, my fingers gripped his white fur, his warmth was infectious. Every part of it was appreciated, my legs encompassed his sides holding on against the gales.
We had flown West to East, circled this mountain, or more commonly know as 'Father'. Three peaks, nicknamed "Father", "Mother", "Little One". Mother was the biggest Mountain, she stood in the centre with Father and Little One on each side.
"See anything?"
I looked down at the snow, nothing. It was a blanket of white completely plain. Not a single tree stood on its side. "Nothing." I replied feeling defeated. The hardest part of rescue missions was actually finding where to rescue from.

"Let's try Mother. I wouldn't be surprised if they settled in the biggest peak." Haku hummed a yes in response, barrelling for the topic Mother Mountain.
Reaching the top, it became the same tedious exercise. Circle around, Haku shivering every few moments and me holding onto him. My hands slipped around his horns, grasping them. I was so cold and this tunic wasn't helping despite the wild cat fur inside.
We reached the top of Mother, Haku set down into the snow, letting loose a shallow breath.
"You have to take over. I cant fly through those winds anymore."
"You should've told me earlier, come on."
The process of switching bags and swords came and before we knew it I was bounding through the dunes.
"I should've got you at this earlier, your legs are so long and you have small paws. It makes for perfect balance." He chuckled patting my neck. Grumbling in response, I slowed down. Somewhere in the mountain range a loud thundering came. Couple of kilometres behind us, a plume of white rocketed into the sky.
"Avalanche." Haku gasped pointing to a rock that was jutting out over the slope. "Quick! Get under it!!" I began sprinting to the rock, the snow was shifting beneath my paws and pulling me down.
"Come on Y/N, you can do it!" His words of encouragement were falling on deaf ears. My muscles and loins aches from the strain.
Haku blew a breath of cold air past my ear, the ground beneath me turned to coarse ice. I found my footing and began a kind of skating method. He kept making a path for us, as it cracked with the moving ground.

We lunged beneath the overhanging rock as the snow showered from above. We gasped in relief, that had been to close. Haku was already pulling little sticks from the bags. He sets them into a tent shape, looking at me. "It'll keep us warm. It won't blow our cover either with this snow." I nodded, pressing my back against the stone. Gently I blew a stream of fire to the dried sticks, they quickly took light. Haku leaned against my side, his eyes closing as the thundering snow boomed around us.

"Time darling. She is our only friend now."

A/N
I hope you are all well and safe during this pandemic, remember to always wear a mask!!! Love you all!!!!!

Biden 2020 :)

cookies and cream,

-AA

(unedited)