Chapter 16- A Wolf and a Dragon

Teeth. Blood. Fur.

This was all I saw as I ripped at the huge grey dire wolf that had so suddenly appeared in front of me. The woman that had been merely only a woman, was now a beast with savage jaws and killer claws.

But I was worse.

I don't think I've ever fought with such brutality. Not even when I had made a massacre of shadows in the Aburaya two years ago. This dance of bloodshed and scratching inches deep into each other's skin was nothing compared to what I had done solely by myself, without any training. With Haku frantically trying in any way possible to stop the fight, driving through us, taking hits himself all in an attempt to keep me safe. But I never stopped, I tore away chunks of meat, Aku yanked her head upwards bashing into my jaw and causing my teeth to grit. An almighty crack came from the snapped bone and the pure pain was something otherworldly.

But yet, we fought. It had to have been at twenty minutes later with all three of us heaving and bloody and sweating that Aku missed a step giving me the opportunity to swipe my tail beneath her paws. Swiftly, and not so gracefully she was on her back with a loud thump and Haku already bonding her paws together with hard ice. I stood on shaky legs, my head doing somersaults and blood oozing from gash upon gash across my body.

The effort of standing was exhausting, and with all of this too familiar pain cascading through me like molten lava it just made it worse. I hadn't dared to use my powers in that brawl. It could have gone so horrible wrong for Haku and I... although I didn't care to see if the bitch had died.

Finally, he stopped and stared at his ice bindings. His sisters shivering was clear and clamping her teeth together to stop them chattering was obvious as daylight. "You. Were never my sister. And you never will be" Haku spit on the ground in distaste. He had such a vehement aura around him that even I, became worried.

"Let's go, Y/N" he mumbled, turning back to his pearly glistening dragonic form. I only nodded and returned to my two legged human. With much needed help from Haku, I managed to climb onto his back and clasp my hands around his neck. He bounded away from his broken sibling. He arched towards the sky and we disappeared into the clouds. I managed to glimpse the ball of grey fur lurk into the shadows, free from the ice.

I vowed there and then, that the dog would die.

Haku sat me down in the medics room. He had carried me in and immediately went to work in healing my wounds and broken jaw. "Haku..." One thing I never remember discussing with him was the time I had... died. I remembered his flailing form and the tears rolling off his cheeks in rivers. Chihiro grinning like a Cheshire cat, prowling around. I remember the ball of light. But yet, I hadn't spoken to him about it. I supposed now was the time to do it as he wrapped a bandage around me arm. Since, my jaw was snapped I decided to speak over the mating bond.

"Remember  when I died..?"

"How could I forget...?"

"What went through your mind. What did you think about"

There was a pause as he stayed wrapping bandages and grabbed some paste to seal the wrappings.

"I could only breathe. It was hard to think let alone see.  I felt an enormous amount of guilt from what I had out you through.  From how I had never explained. I could've prevented it, I could've kept you human."

My breath hitched as I listened.  I waited for him to continue as he began to make a medicine to nullify my pain.

"But as I watched them carry your body to the sea, I promised to join you. I swore I'd never leave you again whether you liked it or not. I'd go into that water and do whatever it took to join you wherever you had gone. Because the water can be cold Y/N, I know it from its waves to the currents. It's lonely and powerful. I knew the moment you vanished beneath that mirrored surface I'd never see you again. Ever."

He paused his concoction mixing and spun around to stare intently towards me. Studying, my bruised face and body. But this time he spoke aloud. "I wanted to die Y/N. I wanted to kill myself and rest with you" he studied my expression and soon enough, I couldn't hold back the onslaught of tears. His cold grey eyes filled with affection as he brushed a thumb over my bloodied and bruised knuckles. As I cried in silence, he held my battered hand staring down at the wounds. A reminiscent smile upturning his lips. "But then again.  Something in me is thankful for it all. Even it was agonising, my selfish mind is sure that if that had to happened, I wouldn't have you now. I wouldn't have Kiseki. I wouldn't have a family. We very well could've died in this house with Chihiro and her plans if you hadn't gone on that blind rage..." He gave a small chuckle and gently lifted my hand up to study the already healing cuts and bruises. "You fought admirably today. And yet I still couldn't help you, against my own stupid sister" he set your hand back down, his own gaze turning sad and remorseful.

"Haku"

He raised his head to meet my gaze. Waiting for me to continue he began to mix the medicine again, obviously wanting to change the subject before he broke down into tears.

"Haku, look at me"

Wih great reluctance, he set the mortar and pestle on his lap and met my gaze.

"You are like the water. Without it I wouldn't survive. Without it I would be dead and gone. You save me everyday with your very presence. You are my life force Haku. You are not being selfish, your being honestHonest and pure like a running river.  Always stay hat way, my love.  Never change."

Now, his eyes were glassy and he had his own tears trickling down his cheeks. He was watching with the intensity of a typhoon.

"You are a Wolf and a Dragon Y/N. You are the earth and fire. Your my home"

A/N

Well, I've come back from my hole of lazyitis. My apologies yet again, so here is a heart filled chapter for my faithful readers in thanks.

(Extremely unedited)

-AA