Chapter 19- A Trip

We packed bags for the remainder of the day. Now that Lin was gone, the game was changing and the ball, had been set in motion.

I rushed around rooms, stuffing kimonos in bags for Kiseki, other things she would need and of course that Haku and I would need. The spirits here would be safe while we were gone, Haku had requested the Sea Spirit to take care of the House. Which, he had happily agreed to do.

It was nearing the afternoon, and we were almost finished getting the bags ready. We would travel like the last time we had come back from the Marsh, but this time with an extra few weights and a daughter to take care of.

It was going to be a long ride.

But now, as I stuffed some medical supplies into a smaller bag, my mind could only think of my best friend, Lin. She had been taken. Right from beneath my own nose and now who knew where she, and countless others were being held?! I had to get her back. I will get her back.

I just hoped I would do it before it was too late.

I inhaled a long, slow deep breath to calm my jumping nerves. Slow, muscular lean arms wormed around my stomach and Hakus face buried into the crook of my neck. "Will she be ok?" I asked him, staring at the wall as I held one of his hands in my own. He sighed against my neck, his lips kissing my skin as he spoke, "I don't know, love". It confirmed my worst fears, what if I indeed never saw Lin again?

That thought was too much to bare.

I turned around in his grasp and hugged him fiercely, he returned the gesture. "We are walking into the hands of trouble, Haku" I whispered, as if it was a truth I didn't want to tell. He merely nodded, holding me tighter. "But we will be doing this together, there is no rift between us this time around" he gave me one quick squeeze, before slowly stepping back and simply keeping his hands on my hips. "We will get through this, Y/N" he gave me a small smile. I didn't want to ask the question lurking at the back of my consciousness.

"But will Lin?..."

I sighed, nodding. Accepting his words and turning to close the bag and fasten it's buckle. "Have you finished packing and closing the Aburaya? I'm ready to go when you are" I gestured to the bags I had stuffed with supplies for ourselves and Kiseki. He nodded, "Well then let's bring the bags to the garden, and wake our daughter" he placed a quick kiss on my cheek, before grabbing half of the bags and slinging them over his shoulders. Hopping out over the balcony and using a phantom breeze of dew drops and fresh water air to help him land as gracefully as he did. I just shook my head.

When all the bags were accounted for and down in the garden ready to be slung on my shoulders, Haku and I went to get Kiseki.

She was still fast asleep, despite all of our busying about and taking things from the cupboards around her she had not woken. Which, was a small blessing in itself.

Gently, I kneeled beside her and grasped her shoulder. Haku stood in the doorway, still tense and ready for a fight if one came his way. I barely shook her small body as I whispered, "Kiseki darling, you have to wake up. We are going on a trip." Her eyes fluttered open, a yawn escaping her as her horns gleamed in the lazy sunlight. "A trip?" She asked tiredly, bringing a small fist up to rub her eyes. "Yes, a trip. But first you must get dressed and ready" Slowly, Kiseki nodded and rose from her bed.

Within the next ten minutes we were back down in the grass. Kiseki was now wide awake as she watched Haku strap bags upon bags onto my Dragon form. "Daddy, where are we going?" She looked to her father, waiting for an answer. Haku continued to adjust the straps of bags on me, I grunted each time he tightened one too tight. "We are going to see Zeniba and her sister in the marsh, my darling" he gave her a kind smile as the last bag had been successfully tied onto my hip. "Well, guess it's time to go" Haku turned to look at the Aburaya, as if taking it all in and committing it to memory. Who knew when we would see it again, and what sort of quest we were embarking on. This, could be a death wish.

Haku turned his ice blue gaze to our still gaping daughter, a small chuckle escaped me as she studied my body. "Momma is magnificent, isn't she?" And with swift hands he lifted her up and onto my back, following suit himself. Once the pair of them were on, I began to walk through the abandoned fair grounds. Out and down the steps and onto the train tracks. Where the sea had risen, and if the train came I knew I could simply hop into the water and swim for a moment as it passed.

But for now, walking.

And a long, long walk at that.

Sun, unrelenting and blistering, beat down upon us. The bright blue sky, giving hope every where we turned. Kiseki was drinking the sight in hungrily, and Haku was watching the waters, daring something to rise. I focused on staying on the tracks, keeping my family safe. It was a long, long, way to the Marsh. And with this much luggage, an extra weight and a heavier mission to accomplish, it was going to be tough.

All of this though, made me think back to the incidents last year. With... her.

Gods, how I would make her suffer next time I saw her. It was a feeling of ecstasy that I got from the thought of slicing the little witch to pieces.

Haku, must of felt the rising anger growing in me. He laid a soothing hand on my neck, rubbing it up and down as he manipulated water droplets to land on our daughters arm, cooling her down.

"Soon love, soon"

A/N

I really need to get a set updating schedule, jeez. A few more chapters and this book will be finished, I'll be sad to see it go 😢

Cookies and cream,

-AA