01

Italy was breathtaking. The circumstances of the visit could have been better - far, far better - but it was breathtaking nonetheless. I had never been to Italy during my four year stay with the Cullens, not even close, and I wasn't sure if I should be nervous for what the immediate future would hold.

Well, scratch that. I knew I should be nervous - terrified, really - as a human venturing into the heart of Volterra, but I didn't feel that way. Instead, I felt calmer the closer we drew to the city. It was a startling contrast to Bella who sat anxiously in the front seat, checking the time every few moments as the numbers grew closer to twelve. I had been punted to the back, as Alice was driving and still displeased at my insistence on coming with them.

Bella was a wreck, asking if we were close every other minute as she wrung her hands and dragged them through her hair. "Please tell me we'll be there soon!"

"We're close, Bella," Alice said calmly, as Volterra came into view. It was old, and beautiful, and I leaned forward to get a better look. "Put your seatbelt back on, Rowan."

I protested. "We're not going to crash! And Bella isn't wearing hers!"

"I don't care. Now put your seatbelt on," She said firmly. I grumbled and scooted back, pulling the seatbelt on.

We zipped through the streets of Volterra. Alice had one hand on the horn at all times, honking for others to get out of the way. As red-cloaked people began to crowd the streets, however, it was clear that we wouldn't be getting much further by car.

"Why are they all in red?" Bella asked anxiously.

"It's the St. Marcus Day festival. They're commemorating the expulsion of vampires from the city. It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

I let out a quiet snort at Alice's explanation. The irony of the festival was not lost on me, considering the Marcus of the festival was a vampire who still resided within the city's walls.

Bella was all but tugging out her hair as she stared at the clock. "Five minutes."

Adrenaline began thrumming through me. If we didn't reach Edward in time, he would die. No if, ands, or buts. He was like a brother to me, and he was about to die. I gritted my teeth. "Please hurry, Alice."

"We're going to make it. Bella, just breathe," Alice said calmly, though I doubt she would be quite as calm if it were Jasper in this position. I didn't quite understand the attachment, without any sort of mate of my own, but I could sympathize and offer what help I could.

Alice skidded to a stop as the police prevented her from going any further. Bella leapt out of the car, glancing back at us imploringly. "Alice. Rowan."

"Bella, you're the only one he can't see coming. If we go he'll read our thoughts, he'll think we're lying, he'll rush into it."

Bella took a breath. "Where do I go?"

"The clock tower, now. Go!" Bella shut the door and ran off.

"Alice, what are we going to do?" I asked desperately.

"We're going to catch up with her, Rowan, don't worry," Alice said, turning the car around and parking it nearby. "Hurry, we have to interfere right after Bella reaches him."

I swung myself out of the car, running as fast as I could. "You should carry me."

"No, it's too obvious. We have to do it normal," Alice said.

I had gained on her by several paces before I realized she had stopped dead, eyes glazed over. "Alice? Now is not the time, come on!"

"I never should have brought you here," she whispered. "I was so focused on Edward that I..."