06

Caius and I began the walk back as the light began to die between the trees and I hoped that Victoria had made the decision to prowl the woods tomorrow and not tonight. I had lost track of time, and when I had with a start realized the sun was about to set, announced that we should be heading back.

I was more concerned about Caius' reaction if he were to find out what I had agreed to hide from him over any threat that Victoria may pose. This was primarily because I had no doubts that Caius could just as easily take care of her on his own as he could with his guard, while I could draw back into the safety of the shadows and disappear.

We ran into no trouble on our trek back, and I was grateful to be back within the warmth of the house, which Esme had kept at a comfortable temperature ever since I had came to live with them.

"I have your dinner," Esme said, as I emerged into the kitchen. "Wash your hands first."

"Of course," I said, doing as she had ordered before sitting at the table. Caius had disappeared at some point, and I briefly wondered where he had gotten off to before Edward sat down beside me and answered my unspoken question.

"He's speaking with Carlisle about the Quileutes. He's still concerned about it," he said lowly, giving me a chastising look. "You shouldn't have told him."

"I didn't mean to. I wasn't thinking," I said, once I had swallowed my mouthful of food. "I forgot about the werewolf versus shape-shifter thing."

Edward hummed in response. "No harm done. I know we're asking a lot of you. Thank you for earlier."

I didn't have to guess what he was referring to - distracting Caius had given them time to talk about what to do in regards to Victoria. "No problem."

"Jasper and Alice are meeting Sam at the border now. She'll be here tomorrow," he said.

What's your excuse? I switched to conversing mentally with him - at least partially anyway - in order to keep the conversation largely private.

There was a pause, and I suspected Edward was ensuring that Caius wasn't listening in before he responded. "We're all going hunting. He won't want to come, because of our diet."

"Smart," I murmured, taking a sip of my water. Mentally I added, So I just have to keep him distracted?

"Yes."

I met Edward's topaz eyes. I hope you know I don't think we should be hiding this from Caius. It's stupid, especially if something goes wrong.

"I know," he said. "I agree with you, and so does Carlisle, but Alice wouldn't budge. She says everything will be fine."

"And Jasper couldn't talk to her?"

"You know he almost always sides with her. This is no different," Edward said. "Have you finished your history paper?"

"What?" I furrowed my brow at the sudden change of topic, before I realized that we were likely no longer having a private conversation. Confirming my thoughts, Edward nodded. "Uh, no. I was planning on getting Carlisle to help me."

"What's the paper on, love?" Caius asked smoothly, appearing in the chair beside me so suddenly that I jumped in my seat and nearly choked on my food. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

I had to take a gulp of water before I could speak again without being on the verge of coughing. "It's okay. I live with vampires, you'd think I'd be used to it. It's, um, it's about the Industrial Revolution."

"That was an interesting time. I'd be happy to help you," he said, his tone perhaps overly casual. I glanced momentarily at Edward, and his slight smirk was enough to tell me that Caius was jealous. Perhaps not jealous of Carlisle, but likely of the time Carlisle got to spend with me.