033

When I woke up, it was dark outside. The family room was nearly pitch black but I saw through the darkness easily, zeroing in on the figure draped over a chair in the corner. I attempted to sit up.

"Don't do that! Do you want me to lose my job?" Santiago fussed as he stood in one lithe motion.

"Where is everybody?" I asked. For a place that currently housed eleven vampires - fourteen, including the kings - it was oddly quiet.

"Your family all went out to hunt before the masters return. Jane is on guard duty, meaning I've been left to babysit," he said. "No offense."

"None taken. Also no offense, but you're the worst babysitter ever."

"Thanks, it means a lot. Do you want my help sitting up or not?"

"Yeah, yeah."

He stepped back once I was situated. "I know we can both see in the dark just fine, but would you mind me turning on the lights?"

"Go ahead. I'm not going back to sleep," I said. I was actually feeling rather well, all things considered. He flicked on the lights and I grimaced, shielding my eyes with my good arm until I adjusted. "A little warning would have been nice."

"You said go ahead! I thought you would know what was coming after that!" he exclaimed.

"I didn't expect you to do it before I was done talking! But it doesn't matter. When will my mates be back?"

"Last I heard they were an hour out from Forks, and that was about half an hour ago," Santiago said.

"And my family?"

"I can't hear them yet, but they should be back any minute."

"You should call Jane in. I want to say hello," I said.

Santiago tilted his head, listening. "Give it one-"

Jane appeared beside him. "No need. I was already in earshot in case I was needed, my queen."

"It's good to see you, Jane."

"And you as well, my queen. I am glad to see that your health is improving."

"You talk like I'm deathly ill, Jane. I'll be up and about before long," I said with a grin.

She smiled at me. "I'm happy to hear it."

"She was worried about you, not that she would ever admit it," Santiago said in a loud whisper, earning himself a glare from Jane.

"Don't tease her, Santiago. I think it's sweet. And if I remember correctly - though my being found is all a bit of a blur for me - I had you pretty scared, too," I said.

"And I'll be the first to admit it. You scared the hell out of all of us. I certainly don't envy Carlisle, having to inform the masters of your disappearance."

I grimaced. "Is that how it happened?"

Santiago nodded. "Oh, yes. I was there. Carlisle called them straight after I got hold of Demetri, as we were in bad need of his tracking skills - not that it did us much good. You must have been using your gift, because no one could pick up your scent, not even Demetri once he arrived."

"I was, but not intentionally. Some sort of latent survival instinct. I couldn't control my gift. It was like when I was younger," I said.

"It's normal. It happened to me too, when I was human and under extreme stress. At least, I think it did. That was a long time ago," Jane said, her brows furrowing slightly.

"How close were you to finding me before Demetri could finally track me again?" I asked them.

"We were getting close, but not close enough. It was Jasper's idea to attempt finding you by human methods and the only one that actually got us anywhere. Demetri, Carlisle, Edward, Emmett, and I were following the directions Jasper was giving us when your shadows finally lifted; that's how we found you."