036

Bella and Edward left for their honeymoon around eleven that night, but most of the guests stayed for a couple hours longer, talking and mingling. I didn't get to bed until around two in the morning, absolutely exhausted.

I didn't wake up until around noon. Aro was the only one currently in the room. He was sitting at my desk chair, reading a book. Because of my shoulder, my mates were hesitant to lay with me while I slept for fear that I would move towards them and hurt myself or that they would do something to cause me pain.

I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. "Good morning."

"Afternoon, actually," Aro said, closing his book. "It's about lunchtime."

"I'm starving," I said, sliding out of bed and collecting a fresh change of clothes before disappearing into my bathroom to change. I had gotten fairly good at dressing myself with only one functioning arm, and I emerged a couple minutes later.

"Let's get you some food, shall we?" Aro asked, opening my door.

"Hey, pipsqueak!" Emmett said when I walked into the living room towards the kitchen. "Welcome back to the land of the living! How did you sleep?"

"Like a rock," I said, grinning at him. "I've emerged from hibernation in search of food."

"Rose is making you something already, she heard you wake up," Emmett said.

"Thanks," I said, walking into the kitchen.

"I'm making you an egg sandwich, it's almost ready," Rose said.

"Where are Caius and Marcus?" I asked. It was odd that I hadn't seen them yet this morning.

"They're out speaking with your guard, ensuring that they're briefed on procedures once we leave," Aro said. "They should be back soon."

"When will you be leaving?" I asked. It was disappointing that they had to leave while I had to stay for a while longer, but it was best that I remained behind a few more weeks so that I was close to fully healed by the time I returned to Volterra.

"Tomorrow, most likely," Aro said. "With your added guard I believe you will be perfectly safe."

"I'm not worried about that," I said. Aro gave me a sharp look. "Oh, you know what I mean. I asked because I don't want you to go."

"You'll be back in Volterra before very long, mia cara. And rest assured that we will miss you, too," Aro said. He looked thoughtful. "With most of the higher guard temporarily absent, I suppose we'll have to bring up some of the lower guard to do their duties."

"Here you go, Rowan. And a glass of milk," Rose said, setting down my meal in front of me.

I smiled up at her. "Thanks, Mom."

"Of course. I'll leave you two to talk." She gave my good shoulder a gentle squeeze and walked out of the kitchen.

"I'm trying to figure out what to do for Christmas," I said.

"Christmas," Aro mused. "We don't often celebrate Christmas in Volterra, though some of the guard does get in the festive spirit."

"I want to visit my family for the holiday, but it would be really awesome to spend it in Volterra. I haven't decided what to do yet."

"It's barely the middle of August, so you have plenty of time," Aro said. "And here come my brothers."

"Good afternoon, Rowan," Marcus said warmly as he strode into the kitchen, Caius on his heels.

"Amore," Caius greeted, taking a seat at the table. Marcus did the same.

I took a sip of my milk. "Good afternoon. I'm not used to waking up this late."