028

I was slumped over a mug of coffee the next morning, dark circles hanging like bags under my eyes. I hadn't slept much after my nightmare from last night, and the sleep that I did get was uneasy and qualified as dozing at best.

"You know what I think you need?" Bella asked, sitting down beside me.

"What?"

"A girl's day. Just us. No nightmares, no vampires. Just you, me, and the beach," Bella said.

"Thursday is supposed to be sunny," Alice called, her lips in a childish pout. "Though I do wish I could come."

"Sorry, Alice. Humans only. What do you think, Rowan?" Bella asked.

I nodded slowly. "That sounds nice."

"Good," Bella said, smiling.

"I was thinking we could go out for bridesmaid dresses today," Alice said, plopping down on my other side.

I groaned. "I just got back, Alice. Don't you already know what Bella is going to choose anyway?"

"No. You know that's not how it works. Once we get there, though, I will," she said brightly.

"It's up to Bella," I said, taking a long drink of my coffee. It was too early to deal with hyperactive vampires.

"Maybe it would be best to get it over with. And I only want to go to La Push," Bella said, sounding reluctant.

Alice beamed. "That I can work with. Finish breakfast and we can go."

"At least give them time to breathe, Alice. You'll have plenty of time to shop today," Esme scolded, setting omelets down in front of Bella and I. "Here you go, girls. I hope it's good."

"Esme, your cooking never disappoints," I said, taking a bite. "It's delicious as always."

"Agreed," Bella said. We ate breakfast under Alice's impatient eye, and as soon as we were finished she was pushing us back towards my room.

"Oh, I don't have any clothes," Bella said worriedly.

"I grabbed some from your house last night, once I saw you decided to stay the night," Alice said brightly. "They're on Rowan's dresser."

"Oh. Thanks, Alice," Bella said, shooting her a smile.

I shut my door when we reached my room and tossed Bella her clothes. "So has Edward chosen a best man yet? He hasn't told me anything about the wedding."

"Yes, he asked Carlisle over a month ago," Bella said.

I grinned. "How did Emmett and Jasper take it?"

"Oh, they gave him a hard time about it, but I don't think they really minded," she said. "Actually, I've been meaning to ask you... will you be my maid of honor?"

"Of course I will, Bella! I'd be honored," I said, beaming.

She looked relieved. "Good."

"So what did Alice say when you made the decision to make me maid of honor?" I asked as I pulled a shirt over my head.

"She pouted a bit, but she understood," Bella said.

"Who are your other bridesmaids?"

"Alice, of course, and Rosalie," Bella said.

I was surprised by her choice in Rosalie, but didn't mention it. Rose had been much warmer towards Bella ever since I pointed out that it was hypocritical that she was against Bella's change but for my own.

"That's nice," I said with a smile.

"Yeah. You'll be walking down with Carlisle, that way Alice and Rosalie are with Jasper and Emmett, respectively," Bella said. "As long as you're comfortable with that."