031

"I can walk!"

"Like hell you will! Get in that wheelchair or I'll carry you out myself!" Demetri was staring down at me, arms crossed.

I glared at him. "Is that supposed to be a threat?"

"Only if you don't get in the damn wheelchair!" he said, narrowing his eyes. "The last thing you need is to collapse just as you get discharged. You're supposed to be taking it easy!"

My breath hissed out from between my teeth. I knew a losing battle when I saw one, but I was tired of not being allowed to walk or do anything for myself. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without being carried.

"Rowan," Demetri said warningly. "You know I'm right."

"Fine," I grumbled, eyeing the wheelchair by the bed with distaste. "But I'm getting in by myself."

"I don't get paid enough for this," Demetri groaned, rubbing a hand down his face. With Aro signing my discharge papers, Emmett getting the SUV, and Marcus and Caius back at my home, Demetri had been stuck with the task of convincing me to get in a wheelchair.

"I can do it!" I protested.

"You sat up too quickly this morning and lost all the blood in your face. Excuse me if I don't have much faith in your physical capabilities at present." Demetri's tone was dry. "Why can't you just accept my help?"

"I'm tired of everyone babying me!"

"Is that what this is about? You almost died, Rowan! We're worried about you. And you can't get better if you push yourself to do things you're not ready for yet, like walking." He saw my stubborn look and sighed. "You can try, but at least let me help you."

"Deal," I said instantly. He helped me to my feet, where I wobbled uncertainly.

"Easy. Just take it slow, alright?" Demetri said, gently steadying me.

"I'm good," I insisted.

"If you say so."

"I do." I took a tentative step, and-

"Son of a bitch, I told you-"

"I'm fine- ow- put me down!"

"What is going on?"

Aro had chosen perhaps the worst possible moment to reappear. My legs had buckled on my first step, but Demetri was quick to catch me before I could fall and was doing his best not to jostle me too much.

"Someone thought she was well enough to walk," Demetri said, carefully setting me down in the wheelchair.

I scowled. "I could have made it, Demetri, it was just-"

"Your legs giving out?" Aro asked, raising an eyebrow as he walked over to the wheelchair.

"I think that's a bit of an exaggeration-"

"That's exactly what happened," Demetri said. "I'll go inform Emmett that we're on our way down. Perhaps she'll listen to you better than her guard, Master Aro."

Aro took one look at my unhappy expression, chuckled lightly, and said, "I highly doubt that. Thank you for making sure she didn't injure herself further, Demetri."

"Of course," Demetri said, bowing briefly before sweeping out of the room.

"What are we going to do with you?" Aro asked good-humoredly as he rolled me down the hall towards the elevator.

"Let me walk?" I asked hopefully.

"Definitely not. You know the doctor has ordered no physical activity for at least another couple of days."