026

At seven-thirty the following evening, I was roused from my book by a knock on the door. I set the book down on Aro's desk and headed to the door. I was vaguely surprised at the knock, as Alec and Jane had taken to the habit of simply walking in after Demetri and Felix had started doing so when they were on guard duty.

I was instead met by the one vampire I perhaps wanted to deal with the least: Santiago, who was staring at me with a lazy grin.

"Good to see you again, kid. The twins were called to court by the kings along with Felix and Demetri, so I'm your escort tonight," he said.

"I'm honored," I said dryly, but waved him inside anyway. "I thought the movie didn't start until eight?"

"It doesn't. But I figured I'd drop by earlier. Didn't know if you'd want any snacks," Santiago said, looking around the room with interest. "I've never been in Master Aro's quarters before."

"Not many of the guard have," I said. "We can leave now if you'd like."

"As long as you're ready. Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't get lost," he said with a smirk.

If it weren't for the fact that it would break my hand, I probably would have punched him. I settled for sarcasm instead. "Oh, my hero."

"Please, kid, I'm only doing my job," he said, motioning towards the door. "After you."

"And I thought you didn't have manners," I quipped, walking past him and out the door. "Oh, how wrong I was."

"Your sarcasm wounds me, queenliness."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I'm sure."

"Truly." Santiago had schooled his features into a serious mask, but he grinned and clapped me on the back instead, causing me to nearly fall flat on my face. He grabbed my arm the next second to steady me. "Sorry about that. Forgot how fragile you humans are."

"This human is about to go off," I grumbled.

He smirked. "Please don't, I doubt that's good for your blood pressure."

"You're not good for my blood pressure."

"You don't mean that." Santiago placed a hand over his heart in mock hurt.

I snorted as we walked into the kitchen. "You'll get over it."

"Already am, kid," he said, leaning on the counter. "What do you even do around here all day? I mean, the masters are in court half the time, and that leaves you with a fair chunk of free time. Doesn't that get boring?"

"Not really," I said with a shrug as I put the popcorn in the microwave. "I read, talk with the guard or my family, draw, read some more... I really have no life, do I?"

He laughed. "Come now, queenliness, that's not true. You just need a hobby."

"I already do art. What kind of hobby did you have in mind?" This ought to be good.

"Well, mine is murder, but I suppose we could figure out something for you. What are your thoughts on larceny? Vandalism? Pushing over old people?" I stared at him, not sure whether I should laugh or call Felix to escort him away immediately. Santiago snickered. "Relax, I'm kidding. You need to lighten up, kid, seriously. Though I wasn't joking about you getting a hobby - from the sound of it, you really need one."

The microwave beeped. "Are you saying I'm boring?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying," Santiago replied. "What about learning an instrument, growing a garden, or learning a language?"

"Those are actually pretty good ideas," I said, surprised. I hadn't expected him to give a serious answer, even the second time around.

"I have them on occasion," he drawled. "Want me to carry the popcorn?"