04

Marcus was dismayed that I still had to go to school despite his presence. He was understanding, however, and was satisfied when I told him to meet in my car for lunch and that he could join me on the ride there and home. His presence had ceased being a source of uncertainty for me, to the point where it became more natural for him to be by me than not - especially since he rarely left my side outside of school hours.

His presence didn't stop me from noticing that Bella had been acting cold towards me recently. We were best friends, and I was determined to figure out what it was that I had done to slight her, so after a week of being given the cold shoulder I was determined to confront her at school Monday.

I met her at her locker that morning - though it wasn't such a feat, considering our lockers were beside each other. "Hey, Bella. How are you?"

"Hi, Rowan. I'm fine, thanks. You?" She gave me a tight smile.

"Good. Look, did I do something wrong?" I asked, getting straight to the point as I leaned against my locker.

Bella looked surprised at my question, her lips parting slightly. "Um... no?"

"Then why have you barely been talking to me? You know I would have stayed with you in Forks if I could have, right?" I asked. I wanted to make sure that she knew that I didn't want to leave her here - that was all Edward, who I was still somewhat annoyed at.

"No, no, I know. It's just..." She trailed off with a shrug.

"It's what? I can't fix whatever is wrong if you don't tell me."

"I know it wasn't your choice. It's just the whole thing with the kings has got me kind of... weirded out," she admitted.

My mouth formed an 'o' of realization. "That's what's been bothering you?"

"Well, they're just so much older than you. And they kill people, and I was - am - worried that you will change," she said.

"Bella, the Cullens who haven't slipped up and killed someone are Carlisle and Rose. It's in their nature. Don't act so surprised, even Edward isn't perfect," I said. "But what Edward has done isn't my story to tell. My point is, the Cullens are the exception to the rule. And just because I'm with the kings doesn't change me. The bond doesn't bring together those who are incompatible, it doesn't work that way. It brings together those who already fit. I don't have to change myself to be with them."

My tone was firm but kind, and the words seemed to soothe her worries, since she nodded. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"Of course I'm right. This is me we're talking about," I said cheekily, looping my arm around hers. "C'mon, we're going to be late for English. Are you still grounded?"

Bella sighed. "Yeah, I am."

"Don't worry, I'm sure your dad will make an exception for me. How about we do something later this week?" I suggested.

"Yeah, okay," She agreed, and we separated to go towards our separate seats in English.

It turned out that straightening things out with Bella had been a wise choice, especially after Marcus left that Wednesday, shortly after I had gotten home from school. I had wrapped him in a tight hug before he left, which he didn't seem to expect, but it lit his face up with a smile and he pressed a hesitant kiss to my hairline.

"Don't worry, my heart, I won't be gone forever, and you'll be seeing Caius soon," he murmured. I'm sure he meant the words as comforting, but my fragile trust didn't transfer over to Caius, whom I was perhaps the most nervous about being alone with due to his fiery temper. As a result, I stiffened. Marcus gave me a gentle, reassuring squeeze. "You don't have to be scared of him, Rowan. Caius would never dream of harming you."