013

It was difficult to tell exactly where Aro was in my memories based solely on his reactions, but it wasn't hard to guess. Every so often he would let out a low growl that rumbled through his chest that I could only just hear. It took him so long to sift through everything that I had nearly drifted back off to sleep by the time he finished, comfortable where I was secured in his arms. I wondered if it always took this long or if he was simply being thorough.

"I will never let anyone harm you again, mia cara," he murmured, threading his fingers rhythmically through my hair.

I glanced up at his face, which was stormy despite his soothing words. "Don't-" I yawned, which effectively cut off my ability to speak for several moments. "Don't kill him."

"Sleep now," was all Aro said, moving to place me gently back on my mattress.

I grabbed his hand, relaying my thoughts to him rather than taking the energy to speak. Stay. Please.

"Gladly, bellissima," he murmured, settling back down to his previous position. In moments I had drifted back off, no longer fearful of nightmares, but not before I had one more quick, passing thought.

Aro had never agreed to my earlier request.

I woke more rested than I had felt in several days. I was still clinging to Aro, who had me tucked under this chin close to his chest, his eyes half-closed as he kept watch as I slept.

"Good morning, my dearest," he hummed, his lips ghosting a gentle kiss on my hairline. "How are you?"

"Okay," I said truthfully, rolling off of him to stretch, then nearly rolling off my bed in a clamor to stand. "I'm late!"

"Relax. Carlisle called you in sick, he said you needed the rest. He also believed that we needed to talk, though that was something I garnered through his thoughts," he said with a small smile. "It's just us here this morning."

That was a first. "Where's everyone else?"

"Esme and Carlisle are both out working, Rosalie and Emmett are hunting, and the rest of your siblings are at school, I believe."

"We can figure out how to spend our day as I eat," I suggested, pulling a brush through my tangled hair. I grimaced as it worked its way through the knots. "But I'm going to change first."

"Alright," Aro said, looking as if he was lost in thought.

I suppressed a grin. "I'm not going to give you a strip show, if that's what you're hoping."

"Oh! My apologies," Aro exclaimed, looking only slightly abashed. "Perhaps next time. I'll meet you downstairs."

He laughed and disappeared with a gust of wind, leaving me to stare open-mouthed after him. "Cheeky vampires," I finally muttered, dressing in jeans and a t-shirt before heading downstairs after him.

I made myself scrambled eggs, leaning against the counter as I stirred them within the pan. I could feel Aro watching me from where he stood, and while the silence wasn't comfortable it was clear he wished to speak.

I realized that I would have to be the one to break the silence. "You've seen everything now."

"Thank you for showing me."

"I got tired of hiding things from you," I admitted, glancing at him. I was able to read him well enough to know that he wasn't pleased with what I had asked of him the night before, though he waited until after I had finished eating to breach the subject again.

"What your father did to you is unforgivable. He beat you, I cannot-" He took a deep, unneeded breath, eyes dark with rage, and started again. "He does not deserve life after what he did to you."