024

"Damn it," I mumbled, letting my head fall back against the wooden door. The shadows pressed worriedly against me but I waved them away, not wanting to cause even more trouble by disappearing. Why were things here so much more difficult than they were with the Cullens? Everything had always been effortless there. They treated me with care but also treated me like an equal.

"Damn it," I said again. For the first time since arriving in Volterra, I felt homesick. I missed Forks and I missed my family. My stomach churned and I took a steadying breath, remembering why I was here in Volterra to begin with.

I pulled out my phone and called the first person in my speed dial. It rang twice before it was answered. "Hello, Rowan."

"Hey, Ed," I said, letting out a breath. "How are you?"

"Good. We thought you had forgotten about us," he teased lightly. "But we took your radio silence as a good sign."

I smiled slightly, feeling bad for neglecting them. "Yeah, things have been alright. It's an... adjustment."

"Just alright?"

"Like I said, I'm adjusting."

"Yeah, I'm sure. What happened?" Edward's tone was so knowing that I wondered if he could read my thoughts, even from here.

I hesitated, not wanting to spill if the rest of my family was close by, eavesdropping. I loved them, but I wanted privacy. "Is there anyone else listening?"

"No, just me. I'm with Bella, she's asleep. It's early here," he said.

"Right. I forgot. At least I didn't wake you," I said. At that, he chuckled. "It's just... Marcus and I had a fight."

"That's pretty normal. What happened?"

I recounted the whole story to him. I doubt I could have stopped even if I wanted, once I got going. One thing I appreciated with Edward is he always listened. No judgement, no matter what. He just listened and then gave his thoughts. "I feel bad, Ed, but I'm also so frustrated. I'm not a child - at least, not by human standards - and just because I'm younger doesn't mean I'm naïve or stupid!"

"I know, Ro. You're right. But try to understand what they're going through, too. Being faced with the possibility of losing your mate is one of the most terrifying things to experience. I don't blame him for overreacting, but you were well within your rights to stand up for yourself."

"Do you think I was too harsh?"

"I think you could have worded it better, but you had the right idea. I wouldn't worry too much about it, Ro. He'll forgive you, and you'll forgive him. Right?"

"Right," I said. "I've just never-"

"Properly stood up for yourself before?" Edward finished, and I could practically see his raised eyebrows. "That's part of growing up. You're strong and it's about time you started showing it. You're my little sister, it kills me that you went through what you did. So I'm proud of you, Rowan. Really."

I smiled, my cheeks warming at his praise. "Technically, you're younger than me, so..."

"Technically, I've lived way longer, so..."

"Alright, old man. Have it your way," I teased. "So how is everyone? I miss you guys."

"We miss you too. It's weird without you. Rosalie wanted to visit after you had been gone for two days, but Carlisle shot that idea down real quick."

"I'm sure. How's Bella?"

"She's hanging in there. Misses her best friend. You should give her a call when you can," Edward said. "With respect to the time difference, of course."