044

"Are you old enough to be drinking alcohol?"

I swirled around the eggnog in my mug. "The legal drinking age in Italy is sixteen. Considering how long you've lived here, I thought you would have known that."

"Alright, smartass," Santiago said, closing the door and making himself comfortable in my recliner. He watched as I sipped on the brandy-spiked eggnog. "You know the kings will blame me if you get drunk, right?"

"Don't be dramatic, I'm not going to get drunk off of this," I scoffed. "Buzzed, maybe. But not drunk."

Santiago eyed me dubiously. "If you say so. What do you have on?"

"Elf. Haven't you seen it?" I took another long drink of eggnog. Between the cozy warmth of the room, the Christmas tree, and the fleece blanket I had draped over my legs, Christmas Eve was shaping up just the way I had hoped. The only thing missing were my mates.

"Oh, yeah. I've seen it a few times. It's Renata's favorite Christmas movie," he said.

I grinned. "So you two are getting pretty serious, huh?"

"Shut up or I'll tell the kings you've been drinking," Santiago threatened.

"That's an empty threat if I ever heard one," I said with a snort. "Aro will know anyway, and as long as I don't get shitfaced I doubt they'll really care. Where are they, anyway?"

"Last minute trial. Master Caius was on his way over before he got called away by Master Aro; I was in the vicinity so he sent me in his stead. Figured you wouldn't mind a little company on Christmas Eve."

"You figured right," I agreed. "Did he say how long they'd be?"

"Everything happened in a bit of a rush; Master Caius didn't say. No doubt they'll want to make a swift ruling, so probably two hours at the absolute most. Don't be too put out, though. I mean, look on the bright side: you get to hang out with me!"

"I can't think of any way I'd rather spend Christmas Eve," I said dryly, though an amused smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

"I knew you'd see it my way."

Roughly an hour and a half later, after Santiago and I had finished watching Elf and had made it halfway through The Santa Clause, the three kings entered my wing.

"That's my cue to leave. I'll see you later, queenliness. Merry Christmas," Santiago said, standing and stretching unnecessarily before giving the kings a respectful nod and leaving the room.

"We are so sorry for having to leave you alone for Christmas Eve, mia cara. Rest assured we will make it up to you," Aro fretted, his red eyes on me worriedly.

I shed the blanket and stood with a smile. "It's alright, Aro, really. Things happen. Kings don't get days off."

"Don't remind me," Caius grumbled, removing his cloak and hanging it on one of the coat hooks by my door. "That trial did not go quite as speedily as I had hoped."

"However, we're grateful Santiago kept you company. He cares for you deeply," Marcus said, hanging his cloak beside Caius'.

"Most of the guard does. Though I am surprised at how fondly Santiago thinks of you; he is not one to attach to others easily. That said, his budding relationship with Renata has come as no shock to anyone," Aro said. He draped his cloak over the back of my loveseat before pressing a brief kiss to my forehead and taking a seat.

"Well, I certainly didn't expect it. He was a perfectly good warrior until he started fostering feelings for her. Now he's a perfectly good warrior who is constantly distracted," Caius complained.