021

"We have something for you," Marcus said mid-afternoon of the following day. He, Aro, and Caius were fresh out of trial, and if the deep gash through Caius's robes were any indication he had chosen to get involved himself.

"Is that so?" I asked, settling into Aro's lap when he spread his arms in invitation. Said vampire buried his nose into my neck, humming in lazy confirmation.

"It's a long time in coming, I think," Caius said crisply, removing his cloak and viewing the tear in distaste. "Damn newborns."

"Felix nearly had a conniption when that newborn attacked, you know," Marcus said.

"Like he wasn't pinning another one himself. Demetri and Santiago, too," Aro said. I could feel his lips moving against my collarbone as he spoke and my heart jumped. He lifted his head to look Caius in the eye. "Though it's not like you didn't have it handled."

"He ruined my cloak!" Caius exclaimed in displeasure, ruined cloak clenched between his fist.

"It's not like you don't have more cloaks," I said, before Caius could continue his angry tirade. "But I think we've gotten a little off-topic."

"Right you are, my dear," Marcus said.

Huffing, Caius tossed his cloak over his chair and glared at Aro. "Must you keep her all to yourself?"

"You know, I am right here. All you had to do was ask," I quipped. "But let's get back to the topic at hand before this conversation gets even more horribly derailed."

"Your crest is finished," Marcus said without the grandeur that would have come if Caius wasn't about to speak again. "It's taken longer than expected, but that's because the three of us designed it together."

I had gotten rather attached to the one I had, which wasn't technically mine at all. It was Marcus's; he had given it to me on his first visit until I could get my own.

"I don't think you're getting your crest back regardless, brother," Aro said. "Our Rowan is quite partial to it."

Marcus's lips curled into a smile. "That's fine. However, I do think you will like this one." He pulled a Volturi crest out of his breast pocket. Its pendant was smaller than any of theirs, but elaborately crafted, decorated with each of the stones that my mates had on their own crests.

I nudged myself off of Aro's lap to take it from Marcus much to Aro's displeasure, as Caius draped himself over my shoulders as soon as I stood up. I took a moment to examine the crest. It was lighter than it looked and had the feminine appearance that theirs did not.

"I love it, thank you," I said, beaming at him.

"You're most welcome," Caius said, more than relaxed now. His chin was resting on my shoulder and I strongly suspected that his eyes were closed.

"Care for a walk?" Caius asked me.

"As long as Aro and Marcus don't feel too neglected for it," I said with a smile.

"Not at all, love," Aro said. "We have matters to discuss with Jane and Alec, so if you could send them in when you pass, that would be marvelous."

"Certainly, brother," Caius said. He wrapped his arm possessively around my shoulders, pulling me neatly into his side. He relayed Aro's message to the twins when we saw them standing guard outside his wing, as I had been roaming Caius' quarters when the three had found me.

We walked for several minutes in a comfortable silence, just enjoying the other's company. He only broke the silence when we stepped outside into the warm air, the sun hidden beside the fat, fluffy white clouds that passed in front of it.