042

My conversation with Rose left me conflicted and emotionally exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to curl up with my kings and sleep, but I still had at least one more difficult conversation to get through and I had no doubt this one would be more fiery than the rest.

Edward.

The two of us usually got along. We were of the same breed, Edward and I. Quiet, watchful, and often underestimated. And we both had tempers like ticking time bombs, most explosive when we faced off against one another.

Edward and I only had one true fight between us, when he told us we had to leave Forks for Bella's sake. I argued because it was bullshit. He argued because he felt he had no choice but to leave Bella as a jilted lover. But we always made up, even after small arguments. It was simply the nature of our relationship.

I wasn't sure there would be any making up after this one.

I rapped lightly against the door of Carlisle's study, which was already slightly ajar, before letting myself inside. Aro was speaking earnestly to Renesmee, who was listening with rapt attention, and I would have thought the scene endearing if not for the weight of coming conversation resting on my shoulders.

"Amore," Caius greeted, smiling when he saw me. He looked rather bored, but the calculating expression in his eyes was enough to tell me otherwise. However, my arrival had distracted his attention away from my niece and onto me. "How did your conversation go with Rosalie?"

"Quite well. I'd be happy to fill you in on the particulars later. But I'm actually here to steal Edward, if I can. I think the two of us need to have a long overdue discussion," I said, crossing my arms and leaning against the doorframe.

"Auntie Rowan," Renesmee said, turning away from her conversation to bounce over to me. "After you finish talking to Daddy, do you want to see my room?"

"That sounds lovely, Ness. I'd be honored." I gave her a gentle smile and the only real gesture of affection I knew: ruffling her rust-red curls, just like Emmett often did with me. She giggled as I did so before scampering back over to Aro and beginning to speak in such a rush that I almost couldn't keep up. I wondered how he had managed to get her to talk so; upon first meeting, she seemed to rely more on her gift to communicate than her words.

"Edward is free to go with you. Renesmee is our main focus at present, and Bella will still be with her," Marcus said, as if he sensed Edward's unease at leaving his daughter with the three Volturi kings.

"Thank you. Come on, Edward." My words were phrased as an invitation, but there was an undertone of authority to them that even I was surprised to hear. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Caius smirk. Edward walked out of the room and trailed wordlessly after me. I still had my mind shielded, so he couldn't hear the chaotic, swirling thoughts that had tormented me since I had learned of my family's betrayal.

I lead him back to the garage, which Rose had vacated to give us privacy when I mentioned I planned to speak to Edward next. He shut the door and my tenuous control on my temper snapped as I spun on my heel to face him. "What the actual hell is wrong with you, Edward? Huh? I mean, I can maybe get not telling me while Bella is pregnant, but afterwards? After she turned and you realized that neither she or Renesmee were threats to humans? But no. Am I not trustworthy anymore, Edward? Or are you just so selfish that you don't even think past your own damn self to see that there are people you care about that will be hurt by your actions?"

Edward opened his mouth to speak, his brow pulled down in a way that said I had struck a nerve, but I wasn't finished. "And I'm not even talking about me, Edward, though I have every right to be pissed with you beyond belief - which I am, by the way. I'm talking about Bella. Can you not look past yourself to see that your insistence to keep Renesmee a secret - and your reasons are complete bullshit, but don't even get me started on that - was hurting her too? I'm her best friend and you basically ordered her to choose between me and her daughter. So I'd like you to tell me what the actual hell is wrong with you, because I'd really love to know."