07

Caius could barely be pried from my side for the rest of his stay. He was set to leave Wednesday morning, and Esme was persuaded to call me in sick on Monday and Tuesday so that I could spend more time with him. After I had consented to allow him physical contact, there was barely a time when we weren't touching. He reminded me a bit of an overgrown cat, a thought which earned a snort from Edward when he heard it.

Still, Wednesday came too soon, and I was back to my normal routine, mourning the loss of my constant companion. Jasper assured me that this was perfectly normal when he felt me getting too troubled about it, especially after the telltale restless, crawl-out-of-my-skin feeling returned with increased intensity.

"Edward," I said, walking into his room Thursday evening without bothering to knock. "I need a favor."

"What's up?" He asked, closing his book as I crawled on to his bed to lay beside him. I knew that him asking was mere politeness, but it helped to put my thoughts into words regardless.

"It's Aro," I started, after some time of staring up at the ceiling.

"You're troubled about his ability," Edward said, though I doubted he needed his mind reading to know that.

"Yeah. I trust him, sort of, but I don't want him to know everything," I said. "At least, not right away."

My thoughts, unspoken, hung in the air. It would hurt him to know.

Edward didn't comment, instead humming in acknowledgement, and I continued. "When we were in Volterra, I was able to block him out, like I can with you when I hide. I was hoping that you could help me figure out how I did it, so I could do it again."

"I can try, if that's what you really want," he agreed, sitting up to lean against the headboard. I nodded and did the same. "Show me the memory of what happened?"

"Sure." I closed my eyes to better concentrate, and let the memories of that day overtake me. It was a bit muddled with all that happened, but other than my first look of the kings that interaction with Aro was what had stuck with me most vividly.

"Come here, mia cara." Aro stretched out his hand for me, wanting a read on my thoughts. He explained why upon sensing my hesitance to grant his request. "I just want to get your thoughts, your reasoning behind wanting to leave us."

I didn't want to, I didn't want him to know, I didn't want him to see. But I didn't have a choice, despite every fiber of my being protesting, balking, reaching for the shadows that lurked in the dimmest crevices of the room. Still, I stepped forward and placed my hand into Aro's cold one. There was a beat of silence. "I see nothing. You never said Rowan was immune to your gifts as well, Edward."

"She's not, usually," Edward said cautiously. "But I can never hear her when she's hiding."

"Interesting," Edward said, when the memory had finished playing through my mind. "It's almost as if your mind and body were divided. Your mind was in shadow while your body remained visible."

"Can you help me?" I asked, hope tinting my tone.

"I make no promises, but I can try. How about we start tomorrow after school? I promised Bella I'd be back to stay with her tonight."

I readily agreed, happy that he was willing to help me. I rolled off of his bed and on to my feet, headed for the door. I paused before I had completely left. "Thanks, Edward."

"Of course. You're my sister." He shot me a smile that I returned and in another blink he was gone.

As promised, he approached me after school the following day. "Ride with me? I figured you would want to practice somewhere other than the house."