037

I heard very little from my family over the next several weeks. August had transitioned into September and the only real news I had gotten from them was that Bella and Edward had returned from their honeymoon, which wasn't exactly informative.

"You're worrying way too much about this," Afton said one day in mid-September. "I'm not downplaying your concerns, but I think you're just reading too much into it. Handling a newborn is a lot of work, it's no surprise that your family doesn't have much time to talk."

"I hate this," I said, running a hand down my face. "If that were the case, why wouldn't they just say so? I mean, did I do something?"

"I doubt it. You're a damn joy to have around," Santiago said. He was sprawled out on my couch, leaving no room for Afton or I to sit. We were sitting on the loveseat instead, curled up on opposite ends.

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not," I said, appraising him.

Santiago shrugged. "Take it as you will."

"I don't see how it would be anything else," Afton said, bringing us back to the subject at hand.

"No, you're right. It probably is nothing. I know I'm essentially beating a dead horse at this point. But I feel excluded from my own family. It's like they're not telling me something, but I have no idea what that something could be," I said.

"Afton and I could pay them a visit, see what's up," Santiago offered. "It would be on your orders, and the masters wouldn't care as long as it made you happy."

"I'm not going to send you to spy on my family, Santiago. No matter how good the intention may be. I'm just worried about them," I said.

"They're your family, we don't blame you for being worried," Afton said.

"It's perfectly normal to be worried about your family, kid. They're family. Even if they do drink animal blood." Santiago pulled a face before continuing. "Look, you shouldn't dwell on it, otherwise it'll eat you alive. Whatever is going on, they'll come clean about it eventually. Then you can make them grovel for your forgiveness."

"Nobody is going to be doing any groveling," I said, rolling my eyes at him. "I'm not that petty."

He snorted. "Speak for yourself."

September changed to October and the castle became abuzz with excitement.

"It's because of Halloween," Felix said. "The guard throws a party in the lounge every year, but it's pretty exclusive because of the limited space. We play old Halloween movies, dance, and generally have a good time."

"That sounds awesome," I said.

"You're free to come. I'll tell Heidi to send you an invitation, too," Felix said.

"Will there be costumes?"

Felix grinned. "Oh, you bet. We've only had all year to perfect them."

I learned fairly quickly that the guard took Halloween very seriously, even if my mates didn't. The kings watched the goings-on with detached bemusement.

"It's not that we disapprove," Marcus said, around ten days before Halloween. "But it's not something we should take part in as leaders, in order to keep the respect of the guard. However, you're free to attend if you wish. You've earned their respect because they view you as an equal, as someone they can trust."

"In addition, brother, I'm quite sure we would serve to ruin the atmosphere," Aro said, crossing his legs.

"Most likely," Marcus agreed. The four of us were seated in the throne room. Though I had been promised a throne, it had not yet been built and wouldn't be until after I was changed, another measure taken to protect me and preserve my anonymity. It was best that the rest of the vampire world didn't know about me until I was able to hold my own against them. Being queen would be dangerous enough as a vampire.