03

I grew antsy the farther away from Volterra that we got. Alice seemed to be the only one who sensed this, and she watched me closely out of the corner of her eye throughout the long journey back to Forks. I tried not to fidget.

Edward was too engrossed in Bella to really notice my unease, which was probably for the best. He probably didn't want to hear my inner monologue of I want to go back followed shortly by No, shut up.

Needless to say I was very glad when we finally arrived back in the rainy town of Forks, Washington, even though I was so restless I wanted to rip off my own skin. If this was even half of what Bella felt while Edward was gone, I didn't blame her for jumping off a cliff.

The rest of the Cullens were waiting in the airport when we got off the plain, and I was struck with the realization that I would shortly have to explain why the three Volturi kings kept visiting our house. I had a feeling that would be an awkward conversation.

Rose and Emmett had immediately rushed to wrap me in a bone-crushing hug, and they didn't release me until I gasped, "Can't. Breathe!"

"Sorry, kiddo," Emmett said, ruffling my hair. "We were really worried about you. Running off to the Volturi with Alice and Bella? What were you thinking, you could have been killed!"

Rose was equally distraught, but I didn't quite blame them - they were practically my parents, since it was them that I latched on to when the Cullens had first found me, collapsed and bloody on the forest floor.

"Never do anything like that again," She said sternly.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Yeah, don't worry, I won't."

I delayed informing the rest of the family of what had occurred in Volterra longer than was probably necessary. The Volturi weren't popular among them and I wanted both Alice and Edward with me. Edward didn't return until late with Bella in tow. I offered her a small smile.

"You all know what I want," Bella said, addressing us. "And I know how much I'm asking for. The only thing I can think of for it to be fair is to just vote."

"You don't know what you're talking about," Edward said from the steps.

"Shut up," Bella hissed at him. I grinned. She knew how to stand up to him after all. "Alice?" Bella asked through gritted teeth, pointedly ignoring Edward.

Alice bounced up to her, wrapping her in a hug. "I already consider you my sister. Yes."

Bella had barely stammered out her thanks when Jasper spoke. "I vote yes. It would be nice to not want to kill you all the time."

I stifled a giggle and ignored Rosalie's scolding look as she spoke. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry to both of you for how I've acted. And I'm really grateful that you were brave enough to go and save my brother, even though you did take Rowan with you. But this isn't a life I would have chosen for myself. And I wish there had been someone to vote no for me. So, no."

I squeezed Rose's hand. This was clearly hard for her. She glanced at me. "Your turn."

Oh. "I didn't realize I got a vote," I mumbled.

"Of course you do, pipsqueak. You're just as much part of the family as we are," Emmett said, grinning at me.

I looked to Bella. "I'll become immortal one day. I've always known that. I'd like to do it with my best friend by my side. I vote yes."

"I vote hell, yeah!" Emmett exclaimed, surprising no one. He spun Bella in a hug. "We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way."

I frowned, uneasy, and saw Jasper glance curiously my way out of the corner of his eye. He had likely been picking up my restless state ever since I had returned home, but was enough of a gentleman to not ask.