08

The rain, which had been unceasing for a majority of the week following the training session that took place between Edward and I, had finally slowed to a light drizzle. I took the opportunity to venture outside since the weather was largely pleasant now that April was ending and May was rapidly approaching. With the threat of Victoria successfully eliminated I had little to worry about in way of danger, so the Cullens weren't quite as worried about my tendency to range far and wide through the woods surrounding our home.

I found myself walking the path I had worn to the Quileute border, avoiding puddles and patches of mud as best I could, bag of drawing materials thrown over one shoulder. I grimaced as my boots sunk into the water-saturated ground, knowing that Esme wouldn't be pleased if I tracked it into the house.

The woods were quiet, save the rustling of leaves and occasional chirping of far-off birds. It was unusual for the woods to be so silent, especially now that the rain had finally relented. I paused in my journey to glance around, nearly jumping out of my skin when two figures abruptly appeared a short ways down the path I had just walked.

The fright didn't last long - it was Jane and Alec, surprisingly, and I briefly wondered where Demetri and Felix were.

"My queen," they said in unison, giving my slight bows.

I offered them a small smile. "Hi Jane, Alec. You don't have to call me that, just Rowan is fine. I'm no queen."

"It wouldn't be proper," Jane said stiffly, her unblinking gaze never leaving me. It was unsettling but non-threatening, like when a stranger stares a little too long.

"If you say so," I said slowly. "But I wouldn't mind. What can I do for you?"

"We - your guard here, that is - just have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind," Alec said, his tone significantly warmer than his twin's.

"Go for it. Mind if we walk and talk?" I asked.

"Not at all," Alec said, and they flanked me on either side as I continued my trek. He continued speaking as we walked. "As you know, we are required to follow you at all times to ensure your safety. Due to this, we couldn't help but witness the training session between you and Edward." He spoke Edward's name with distaste.

"Ah." I realized where this conversation was going. "So you're asking why?"

"We're concerned that it may negatively impact your relationship with Master Aro," Jane said in a clipped tone, much less verbose than her brother.

I deliberated on how to respond to this. "How much have your masters told you of my past?"

"None at all, my queen," Jane said, her tone indicating she believed this should have been obvious. "It is not our place. It's hardly our place to interfere in this manner, either, but I was outvoted."

"I'll give you the abbreviated version, then. My mother died when I was young, and my father couldn't cope. He wasn't kind to me. He was very rough; his touches weren't that of a loving parent. Nothing was good enough for him. I successfully ran away when I was fourteen, and that was when the Cullens found me," I said slowly, trying to summarize my distasteful upbringing into a few sentences.

"What does this have to do with Master Aro, my queen?" Alec asked as I stopped, having reached my destination.

I removed my hood, as it had stopped drizzling altogether. "I'm concerned that seeing my past may trouble him. And I want to make sure that I am ready to reveal it, too. Aro's gift is very intrusive, for lack of a better word, and having the choice of when to share my past with him is much welcomed. I wasn't allowed to make choices for myself for much of my life."