032

A loud thump startled me awake. It took me a moment to remember where I was. "I'm so sorry!" Bella had blanched after tripping on the rug leading into the family room and had just scrambled to her feet. My mates were giving her irritated looks of varying degrees - unsurprisingly, Caius' was the most venomous.

"You woke her up," he said, nearly snarling. He wasn't normally this touchy, which was saying something. His protective instinct must be working overdrive now that I was injured and basically incapable of caring for myself. Especially considering what had caused said injuries.

"It's fine," I said, touching Caius' arm. "How long was I asleep?"

"Just over an hour," Aro supplied, as Caius was still glaring furiously at Bella, who was edging towards the kitchen door with an expression which plainly read that she'd rather disappear.

"Caius. It was an accident," I emphasized, pulling his attention towards me instead. His features softened so drastically as he looked at me that it could have been a different man.

"You need rest, amore."

"I need to see my best friend. How's your mom, Bells?" I asked. I had always been curious about Bella's mother; it seemed so odd that someone so level-headed could come from someone so scatter-brained.

"She's doing good. She wanted to come meet you after she heard about your, um, accident, but I told her it may be best to wait a few days," Bella explained.

"I appreciate it. Please tell her thank you for her concern, it's very kind of her," I said.

Bella smiled. "I will. How are you feeling?"

"Like I'm tired of that question. But I'm doing alright, the pain medication really helps," I said, grinning.

"I'm glad. Look, Rowan, I'm really s-"

"Please don't apologize, Bells, none of this was your fault. He probably would have taken me anyway, and if you were there you would have just been in the way. It's really better off that it was just me," I assured her.

All three kings let out low growls, and I shot them reassuring smiles before turning back to Bella, who had lost what color she had regained from earlier. "Don't mind them. Sorry I won't be able to really participate in the wedding like we hoped."

"It's okay! Really! Alice is acting in your place now. Just focus on getting better," Bella assured me.

"Actually, I may have some good news for you on that front," Carlisle said, walking into the room. "Bella's wedding isn't for another five days, and as long as you are careful and take things slow, you may still be able to act as her maid of honor."

I lit up. "Really? You're serious?"

"Yes. But you have to be careful and not overexert yourself. These next few days are critical in your healing process. But yes, you should be well enough to participate in Bella's wedding on Sunday," Carlisle said with a smile.

"That's great news!" Bella said happily, shooting me a smile.

"You're sure it won't be too much for her?" Marcus asked, his worried eyes darting towards where I lay.

"It shouldn't be, but only time will tell. Hopefully this will act as a good incentive for you to stay in bed for at least another thirty-six hours, Rowan," Carlisle said sternly.

I saluted him with my good arm. "It certainly does, Carlisle."

"Good. I'll leave you to chat with Bella," Carlisle said, giving me another smile before leaving the room.