02

The stillness ended almost as quickly as it began. I had successfully saved Bella, but only by certainly signing the death sentence for myself as Felix now had his sights set on me instead. My courage failed and I shrank back, feeling as I did when I was seven and cornered by my father with the knowledge that pain would be shortly incoming.

But Felix had barely moved when he was knocked aside, perhaps by the person I least expected. It was Caius that stood over him, snarling, one foot planted firmly on Felix's chest. "No!"

"Extraordinary," Aro breathed, red eyes fixated on me as he descended slowly down the steps. I noticed that Marcus was now standing too, his head tilted curiously as he studied me.

Caius released Felix with one last growl, and no one dared speak or even move as the three kings regarded me with something close to reverence. They had me cornered, and I took an involuntary step back, reaching for what little shadow remained. It wasn't enough to hide me, however; it was only the shadow that had remained from the journey into the throne room that had kept me hidden before.

Aro halted when I retreated. His voice was soft, gentle even. "No need to fear us, mia cara. I take it you are Rowan from young Edward's memory?"

He certainly didn't sound angry at my sudden appearance. I slowly nodded, not entirely sure I trusted myself to speak.

"Extraordinary," Aro murmured again, as Marcus touched his hand to Aro's. I realized he must have been sharing some insight. "Truly extraordinary."

My eyes darted towards Alice, who Demetri still held back, and Edward, who looked close to relieved. I still didn't understand what was happening, why the three Volturi kings were staring at me like I was precious treasure, why I instinctively trusted them despite the fact that they were the most dangerous vampires I had ever met.

I was human, a human who knew their secret. They would kill me, that was almost certain, and my heart rate shot up at the thought.

"Aro," Edward said slowly, almost hesitantly. "You're scaring her."

An unreadable expression crossed Aro's face, and he took a step back. Surely he was angered now, if he wasn't before. I clenched my fist hard enough that my nails dug into my skin, trying to prevent myself from trembling. It worked, mostly.

It was Marcus who spoke this time. "You are in no danger from us, my dear."

I opened my mouth, wanting nothing more than to ask in no uncertain terms what the hell was going on, but my voice died in my throat and I snapped my mouth shut without saying a word.

"Look what you've done now, Aro," Caius hissed, looking irritated.

I took another, skittish, step away. Marcus sent both of them a look. "Peace, brothers. Join the other Cullens if you wish, my dear."

He waved for Demetri to release Alice, and I quickly made my way towards her. Her face was troubled but unsurprised, and I realized that this must have been what she had seen during our desperate run to reach Edward and Bella.

"What do we do with the girl?" Caius demanded of Aro. I was uncertain of who he was referring to: Bella or myself. I edged closer to Alice, trying to reign in my spiraling emotions and instinct to flee - but no, the thought of running was a sour one and I stood in a sort of limbo, pinned in place by my own conflicting wills.

Edward sent me a single, nervous glance; he had no doubt picked up on my distress, but he didn't speak. Alice reached out and squeezed my hand, and I remembered her promise that she had made me long ago. "You honestly don't think I'd let anyone harm you, do you, Rowan? Because I promise I won't. You're safe with me, with us."