Chapter 1

Reese’s heart sank, the dress that encased her wasn’t what she imagined it to be

Reese’s heart sank, the dress that encased her wasn’t what she imagined it to be. The entire day wasn’t how she imagined it to be… forced to marry someone for the sake of her kingdom, someone who she barely knew the first name of.

Her tiara sat atop her head, placed by the servants to make sure it didn’t disrupt her hairdo, the veil thin and plain as it got placed over her face.

“For my kingdom,” Reese whispered to herself as the music started. She took a deep breath as she stood there, the servants busy around her as they made sure she looked flawless.

The doors opened and she began her journey to the man at the other end of the aisle. Her steps slow and precise, making sure not to trip over the dress.

The veil was lifted off her face and she stood in front of her betrothed. He made her feel uneasy, but she put that down to barely knowing him.

“Do you, Princess Reese of Asilyra, take Prince Namjoon of Statha to be your husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?” The priest asked.

Reese opened her mouth to say I do when the doors flew open and guards baring the Prince’s emblem. Swords drawn, panting. Her eyes looked over to them and she saw a trail of the bodies of her servants behind them. Her eyes widened and before the Prince could grab her she was swept off the altar and pulled behind someone.

“Princess, run.” The familiar voice of the captain of the guard spoke. Her eyes widened. “Don’t worry about me, my men and I will finish up here and come to find you.”

“Thank you.” The Princess spoke quietly, gathering her skirt up and sprinting off to the secret door that the captain of the guard’s best man was holding open for her. She heard the tiara clatter to the floor as she ran, and the clips holding the veil to her hair fell out. She didn’t stop till the door shut behind her.

The princess panted lightly, she knew it was too dangerous to light a torch to follow the passage to the stables. She took a deep breath and saw a child, her nanny’s child, stood in the passage. “I was sent to undo your dress for you and give you this one.” Her voice was quiet.

The princess nodded and the child worked her way through the dress until it dropped to the floor. The second dress was then pulled into her before the child smiled.

“Run.” She bundled the wedding dress into a cubby hole in the wall and grunted softly as she moved the brick to cover it.

“What about you?” The princess asked the child.

“I’ll be fine here. Just run.” She pushes the princess lightly down the passage a little until the stables came into view. The stable to her horse was already open, no saddle, no reins.

Reese sprinted across the courtyard as the bell in the tower rang, sounding that the kingdom was under attack. She swung herself onto the horse and galloped through the closing gate. Tears brimming her eyes as she held on as tight as she could to the horse.

The young girl didn’t know where she was going, just that she needed to run.