Chapter 34

Reese paced through her chambers back and forth as the sun was beginning to set outside her window. This would be her final day in the castle of Adarewien before she set off with Jimin, Yoongi and Hoseok.

Everything was ready for her's and Jimin's departure. Domino and Jimin's horse were waiting outside, Jimin included. They were all waiting for Reese to confess then meet so that they can flee.

But before that, she needed to do something. Something she had been dreading ever since they showed her such kind hospitality.

The truth. She needed to tell both Taehyung and SeokJin the truth. Lying to both of them never got easier, it only got worse and she began to hate herself for doing it for so long. This how she repay their kindness? By lying.

"I'm so so so sorry..." she whimpered.

A knock on her door only confirmed her fears. They were here and she had to tell them. She let out a shaky breath before letting them in.

Both SeokJin and Taehyung walked into her room, faces lines with concern. It was rare that Reese ever requested to speak with both of them, and it only worried them further. The two laid their eyes on the bag hanging from her shoulder, and they both frowned.

The prince and the guard feared that this day would come. However they didn't expect it to be this soon.

"You're leaving?" Taehyung whispered in a cracking voice.

Reese nodded silently, unable to look at them in the eyes. She could feel the heartbreak and hurt radiating off of their bodies. Tears were brimming her eyes but she had to hold them back.

"But I suppose... this is what we agreed...?" he continued.

The princess nodded again, biting her lip. She couldn't hold her tears back, as they were already streaming down her cheeks.

"Why are you crying...?" SeokJin said in a shaky voice.

He slowly approached the princess but recoiled back in shock as she spoke.

"I've been lying to you..." Reese confessed.

Taehyung's and SeokJin's eyes widened, their ears graced with such foul words. Their bodies froze in place. Were they hearing things correctly?

Was Sophie even capable of lying?

"No... that can't..." Taehyung whimpered.

"I'm sorry," Reese cried. "I hate lying to people, especially to you and SeokJin. You've been nothing but kind and welcoming to me, and... I understand if you won't forgive me because I don't deserve it."

Taehyung and SeokJin stood still in their spots, watching Reese break down in tears. Her words hit them in the face and hard, as if smacked with a wooden sword during training.

"W-Why...?" SeokJin shook.

Reese sniffled loudly and wiped her eyes with the sleeves of her dress. Deep down, she knew she had no right to cry, everything has been on her.

"I wasn't lying to you when I said I'm from Asilyra, and witnessed Prince Namjoon cut down innocent people, that much is true."

"But the wedding, it was my wedding," Reese continued painfully. "That foul prince promised prosperity for my kingdom if I became his wife, but he lied. He cut down my servants, he cut down the guards overseeing the ceremony. Prince Namjoon killed my father. That man took over my kingdom and drove me out. All those times where he said that he would reschedule the wedding because I was ill or some stupid excuse like that, he lied to you. I was never sick, maybe sick of his intentions, but he couldn't make me his wife because I ran- I'm Princess Reese."

An uncomfortable silence began to circulate around the three occupants of the room. Reese had just spilled who she was to the prince and guard of Adarewien. The ruler and protector of an enemy kingdom. It was too late to go back now. Within the next few minutes she would have to leave everything behind, both Taehyung and SeokJin, the people she had come to care about deeply.

"I'm so so sorry that I've lied to you all this time," she croaked. "I really hoped that it wouldn't come to this, that I could leave without hurting you or telling you who I really am, but it has... I'm sorry to do this to you, I care so much about you two and it hurts. However, with Prince Namjoon in this castle, I'm afraid he will find me and kill me and the remaining people of my kingdom, I can't let that happen. It is my duty to protect them, and I must do that."

Before she could continue, two bodies made contact with her's. Two pairs of arms wrapped around her quivering form, letting the warmth kiss her skin. Reese's eyes widened- both Taehyung and SeokJin embraced her tightly.

"We're so sorry Sophie- no, Reese," Taehyung spoke in a hushed whisper, just so that the three of them could hear.. "When the alliance between the kingdoms broke, I didn't understand why. Things got strange when Statha proposed an alliance shortly afterwards. However, my father was blinded and took it."

"I'm afraid that he'll try to overthrow you Taehyung," Reese cried. "His entire army is in town, they're waiting for something, maybe Namjoon's order."

SeokJin hugged Reese tight, afraid to let her go.

"That's why you need to go? They might find you?"

The princess nodded, trying her best to return their hugs.

"I'm sorry, but Asilyra needs me, I'm their last ruler, I need to save them."

"We understand, it's your duty. And we understand why you couldn't tell us. Do what you need to do. If I can open my father's eyes, I will send help."

"No, I can't ask anything more of you, you've done so much for me already..."

"Well... Namjoon will be very pleased about this..."