Chapter 51

Seokjin hadn't lied when he told her he'd come keep her company, but he didn't plan on staying long. Afterall, he shouldn't be the one to keep her company behind closed doors. As much as he wished he could, as much as he wished he could be the one to be there for her whilst she healed, whilst she got crowned Queen, whilst she went through any troubles. But he saw the way she looked at him, something was different between the way she looked at Taehyung and how she looked at Seokjin, and Seokjin knew that.

He knocked gently on her chamber door, a quiet 'come in' sounded from inside. He opened the door, his sword gently hitting his leg as he entered. He smiled weakly as she turned slowly to face him in her chair by the lit and roaring fire. "How's your side doing your highness?" He asked quietly. Reese smiled.

"Jimin said I should be fine to go riding again soon, and then I can go back to Asilyra and tend to my people-" She smiled softly, and got up slowly, wincing slightly before walking and greeting Seokjin with a gentle hug halfway across the room and that's when he had to swallow the lump in his throat. Suddenly the room seemed to be smaller than it used to be and he was hyperaware at how close she was, and how good she felt hugging him. But he knew that all good things come to an end, and she wasn't going to be his, and she wasn't ever really his anyway.

"That's good." He smiled softly, his arms gently wrapping around her in a loving way for what could be the last time. His best friend deserved to have her, together they could rule their kingdoms in harmony and keep everybody happy- Seokjin... Seokjin was a nobody, a lord of a tiny space that wasn't that significant enough to even be deemed worthy of asking for the Princess' hand in marriage.

Reese noticed he wasn't quite himself, and she hesitantly pulled way, not wanting to break the hug anymore than he wanted to. She looked up at him. "Seokjin... is everything okay?" She asked softly.

"We need to speak." He spoke quietly.

"Sure, what's on your mind?" She sat on her bed, her side aching from being stood up too long and she patted the space beside her.

"I... I can't be selfish any longer." He mumbled softly and Reese's heart dropped. "I fell in love with you somewhere between meeting you and right now, but I wasn't the only person who fell in love with you. From the sidelines, I can see how you look at him and how he looks at you. I can't keep convincing myself that you're going to fall for me the way you've fallen for him. I also can't take you away from him."

Reese looked at him in shock, her heart fluttering slightly from his confession, but at the same time she knew it wasn't right.

"Jin..." She whispered, calling him by his nickname for the first time since they met. "I..."

"I completely understand that your heart lies with him, and that's okay. I realise you mightn't know that you have feelings for him yet, and I realise that I shouldn't be telling you that I've fell for you because of that." Seokjin had tears in his eyes and Reese gently took his hand as a way of comforting him. "You and him are destined to rule together, you two can bring happiness to all the kingdoms, not just your own... I wouldn't be of much use, I'm terrible under pressure and I'm just a small Lord from a place that isn't even mapped. But you shouldn't fight your feelings anymore. Everybody around it can see the way you two are around each other..."

"Seokjin... I don't want to hurt you." She whispered softly, and she leant across and wiped his tears with the sleeve of her dress.

"You won't hurt me. As long as you're happy and he is happy, I'll be happy. That's my job, my purpose. To keep him safe and happy, and now it's to keep you safe and happy too."

"Then why are you crying?"

"Because I've realised how silly I was to even imagine you falling in love with me in the first place." He smiled weakly. "Why are you crying?" She suddenly realised there were hot tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I-I don't know... I'm sorry!" She whimpered and it made his chest ache to see her cry. "I'm sorry I couldn't be good enough for you, and I'm sorry I didn't end up falling for you. You're honestly a great person, and you're kind and sweet and everything a girl could wish for in a man."

"It's okay, don't apologise. You can't help who your heart wanders off to." He briefly hugged her before standing. "Thank you for listening and understanding Princess." He bowed before leaving the room. Her body shook with sobs at the idea that she had hurt someone-

She sat on the edge of the bed, tears flowing freely from her eyes, too absorbed in her own hurt and her own guilt, to realise someone was embracing her.

"It's all okay." She heard the deep soothing voice of the Prince. "I promise you, it'll be okay. Just let it all out."

She clung onto him as if her life depended on it as she sobbed. Her heart didn't feel broken, but it ached knowing she had broken someone else's heart.