Chapter 21

Seokjin stayed awake that night, determined to find out more about the mysterious girl

Seokjin stayed awake that night, determined to find out more about the mysterious girl. He also stayed awake for the simple fact that he couldn't stop worrying about her.

He was alert for any sign of her leaving her room but was also alert to make sure she didn’t ask for help.

He sighed softly. Sitting at his desk in the moonlight and candlelight, realizing all he knew about her was her name. He groaned in frustration, hands going to his hair and he tugged at it.

That’s when he heard the door shut from her room, and he got up, prepared to answer his door in case she knocked-

Why would she knock for me?

He thought to himself. After all, he’d been nothing but cold-hearted and done nothing but push her away.

He heard footsteps leading away from the room and he sighed softly wishing he could be of more help. He perched on the edge of the bed. He didn’t even worry about the prince this much.

A gentle knock sounded at the door and he called out a ‘come in’, not bothering to stand as he expected it was one of his men who had seen her leave her room-

He immediately stood upon seeing the girl stood shakily in the doorframe, a tray of food in her hands.

“I… I got told by the maids you’d cooped yourself up in here.” Her eyes stayed towards the floor, her cheeks dusted a light pink in comparison with the sickly paleness of her face. “I thought you might be hungry…”

Seokjin felt his heart swell slightly at her concern for him and he smiled softly, taking the tray off her. “Thank you, do you want to come in?”

She hesitated before nodding, her hands shaking as she balled them into fists and walked into his chambers.

Reese looked around, the room is well decorated, something she wouldn’t have expected Seokjin to really care for since he didn’t care for much.

“Here.” He smiled and sat on the floor, placing the tray on the floor and gesturing to the other side for her to sit. She sat slowly, her body seeming even smaller than it usually did. “Is everything okay?”

“I…” She sighed softly, Seokjin taking a bite of his food until he put it down and realized she was crying again.

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” He smiled kindly. “Here, surely you haven’t eaten since the other day.” He offered her some of the food and she looked up with a small sniffle and took the food from him, her hands cold.

There was a relatively comfortable silence between them for a few minutes.

“Are you cold?” He kept his voice soft and she nodded slightly. He stood, heading to the fireplace before starting the fire, and heading to his wardrobe and pulling out his cape. He knelt beside her and wrapped it around her softly before taking his place once more.

“Thank you.” She spoke softly.

“It’s no problem, it’s my duty to care for you as long as you’re in this castle.”

She smiled weakly at this, yawning softly.

“Are you still afraid?” He asked softly, finishing the food. She hesitated before nodding. Seokjin sighed quietly. “You can stay in my room if you want. I’ll be here the whole night-“

“I couldn’t burden you with such things-“ she shook her head.

“Nonsense.” He smiled softly. “As long as you get better, I don’t mind.”

She looked for any sign of regret or hesitation in his eyes before she mumbled a small thank you.

“You can go to sleep now if you want.” He noticed the tiredness in her eyes and she stood, curtsying before getting into his bed, she cuddled under the blankets instantly a small smile present from the warmth.

“Goodnight Seokjin, Thank you…” she whispered and he could tell that sleep was beckoning her.

“Goodnight Sophie.” He smiled watching her from where he was. “Sleep well-“ He soon found himself learnt against his bed, head tilted back against the mattress and sleeping himself.