Chapter 40

“Come on Hoseok!” Princess Jennie yelled as she swung her sword at the guard's. “Why are you slacking?!”

As their wooden swords connected, Hoseok struggled to keep a tight grip on the handle. His grip shook as the force traveled down the weapon and through his hands. Soon enough, Jennie threw in another strike, where the man was barely able to block it in time.

He forced the princess back a few feet, attempting to steady himself. Jennie was quick to retaliate. She leaped into the air and swung her foot into the flat edge of the sword, forcing it to fly out of his hand. Hoseok’s eyes widened- before he could react, Jennie swung the unsharpened edge into the man’s face and knocked him backward.

Hoseok landed back first onto the training hall’s floor, his legs flying up into the air. The princess was quick to point the dull tip at the guard’s neck, halting his next move dead in his tracks. The man groaned, flopping back onto the floor with a loud thud.

Jennie sighed, as she sat down on the floor in front of him, placing her blade down beside her.

“What’s up with you Hoseok?” she asked. “Ever since you and the others graced our castle, you have been giving off a glum aura.”

The man in question shot up into a sitting position. He ran his hand through his orange hair before ruffling it in a frustrated manner.

“I said some things to Reese a couple days ago… and well… she’s angry with me now.”

Jennie clicked her tongue and shook her head.

“How foolish of you Hoseok,” Jennie scolded. “You should know better than to hurt her feelings, especially after everything that’s happened.”

Hoseok folded his hands together, clenching them tightly as they began to turn white.

“Need not tell me about what happened, Taehyung made us aware,” Jennie continued. “It was quite harsh of you to say that you would rather sacrifice hundreds of lives, including yours, just to save her. You must have realized by now that she lost her parents, many innocents lives of her kingdom were lost, and she lost Asilyra. Do you honestly think sacrificing yourself and countless others will make things better?”

The guard remained silent, hiding his tearful eyes in his palms.

“No, it won’t Hoseok. You’re the only one who understands what she’s been through, and yet you turned your back on her?”

“I didn’t!” he roared, silencing Jennie. “I get it okay?! I screwed up! I was just so angry that she would do something so dangerous without anyone to help her, without me to help her!”

“Is it me you should be telling this to?” Jennie asked.

Meanwhile, in the castle gardens…

Reese and Lisa walked side by side as they walked down the cement path of the royal gardens. The sweet smells of flowers graced their noses as they strolled through the foliage lining the paths.

Just earlier today, Taehyung had spent most of his time trying to comfort her. She just really needed someone to be with her as she cried over what had happened between her and Hoseok. In a sense, he was her best friend, and it hurt when those words passed his lips.

The gentle breeze passing through the air calmed her nerves.

“We’ve gotten word that Prince BamBam will send some assistance from Lullaby,” Lisa informed her.

“I’m surprised we’re getting so much help against Statha,” Reese hummed.

“Of course, if Haven goes to war, they join as well,” she nodded. “Almost all the kingdoms in the east and south want to take Statha down.”

Reese recalled how many kingdoms Prince Namjoon had taken over during his rule. All those people were suffering already, and it got worse the moment he took over. The princes and princesses of those kingdoms went into hiding, and now they were only beginning to resurface to help Asilyra’s cause. She would owe them a great debt, but it was for her kingdom, her people and theirs.

“What about Prince Baekhyun?” Reese inquired. “Is he joining in as well?”

“Yes, he and his army should be here in a few days time.”

For the first time in over a month, she could finally let out a breath of relief. Everything was going to plan, her throne was almost back in reach. The only thing that stood in her way was Statha.