Chapter 2

Tree trunks zipped by in a blur as Domino galloped at lightning speed

Tree trunks zipped by in a blur as Domino galloped at lightning speed. His heavy hooves stomped against the ground, the sounds of crunching leaves and snapping twigs following closely behind. Many times had Reese seen this forest from her hilltop palace, looking down at the changing colours of the leaves. It was a beautiful sight to behold, one that the princess wanted to explore one day. However, the one time she has the chance, she’s escaping for her life, this forest is the only safe route.

Reese struggled to wrap her arms around the horse’s neck, resorting to grasping his mane with her shaky hands. The winds rushing past their bodies became sharp as Domino’s hair whipped around. The currents snagged onto the princess’s hair, the done up do becoming loose and caught in the winds. Just like Domino’s mane, it whipped and slashed across Reese’s face, leaving red claw-like marks behind. She winced as she tried to shield her face but it was futile.

Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she hung on for dear life, as her body followed Domino’s speedy gallop. Without a saddle or reins, what would keep her stationary on his back? A single sharp turn would surely throw her off. However, the princess trusted her loyal stallion, he wouldn't do anything like that unless Reese willed it. She panted heavily from both the movement of her quivering form and from the emotions flooding her body.

The harsh reality hit her hard and tears began to stream down her cheeks. The princess was driven out of her own home by the man she was supposed to marry- the man who promised to save the Kingdom of Asilyra. No, Prince Namjoon lied and stabbed her kingdom right in the back, slaying so many innocents in cold blood. She was afraid of admitting this but-

Asilyra, was it really that weak, that vulnerable?

Reese’s heart shattered into a million pieces. She had hoped and believed that Asilyra could be saved that it would be strong enough to defend and protect its people. But that lying prince, he killed her people he had known for her entire life, they were gone within minutes. Reese thought her kingdom was strong, the royal guard trained hard, they were warriors! Yet, they’re back at the castle risking their lives so that the rightful ruler of Asilyra could escape. But the question was, would she be able to return their bravery?

With her absence and Prince Namjoon’s tyrannical rule, would her kingdom be able to survive? If she does return, would he home she came to know and love still exist? The princess’s heart and soul belonged to Asilyra, but now that she’s been driven out of her home, where does it belong now?

The princess was forced out of her thoughts as a tree branch caught her leg. It was sharp enough to tear the fabric of her dress and slash down the length of her left calf. A pained hissed passed her lips as she felt blood trickle from the wound. Domino slowed down momentarily, turning his head back to Reese.

“I’m okay Dom,” she grimaced, trying to sound convincing.

The black and white horse snorted, not believing her words. Domino knew her better than that, after all, she raised him. He trotted over to a small forest grotto, setting himself down on the grassy shore. Domino nudged her off his back so that she could rest against his body. Reese leaned against her companion while inspecting her wound. She painfully sucked in a breath as her leg began to sting.

Domino whinnied, hurt by seeing his friend in pain.

“Don’t worry,” Reese spoke softly, patting his head. “I’ll fix it.”

Despite her lack of medical knowledge, Reese knew she had to stop the bleeding and protect it from infection. With the inner material of her dress, she tore a long strip away, then wrapped it around her wound. Reese finished it off with an asymmetrical bow.

“That’ll do for now,” the princess sighed, dropping her head back. “I guess we can stop here for the night, then we can continue in the morning.”

Where were they going exactly?

Domino laid his huge head across Reese’s lap, embracing her quivering form. Before closing her eyes, she palmed the left of her chest, feeling her treasured hairpin close to her heart.