Chapter 3

Reese awoke to sounds of heavy footsteps, her heart pounded in her chest

Please don’t be the guards, please don’t be here to take me back-

“A pretty lady is far from the kingdom isn’t she?” A male entered, the bright light shone behind him with a warm hue. Sunshine.

“I don’t see no man around to protect her either.” Another man spoke, sending shivers down her spine.

“Who said I need a man?” She spoke defiantly, rising to her feet.

“Listen, we don’t want to hurt a pretty face like yours.” The first man mumbled. “Just hand over all your valuables and we’ll let you go.”

Within a couple of minutes, they had walked off with all her jewelry and her little bag of coins, from the rings on her fingers, to the necklace around her neck. Everything but the clip that was tucked away safely.

Reece sighed softly, closing her eyes. Her leg still ached from the fall, and quite frankly she was tired and longed for a proper bed.

The horse beside her whinnied, ready to travel again.

“I know Domino.” She muttered softly, running a hand through his mane and she hoisted herself up onto the horse. She was used to bareback riding, but with the speeds Domino last night was going- She shook her head at the thought, her captain of the guard would come to find her soon enough. Once he had defeated the men that had stormed her castle-

There was a path, that wasn’t too far from where they stayed that night. She decided she’d follow the path hoping that she would get to a town.

Not that I can do much anyway.

She thought to herself, with what little belongings she had on her, she couldn’t even afford to go to see a medic.

Domino trotted out the grotto, and seemingly knowing what her plans were, he headed to the path. She sat upon the horse, head tilted back looking up at the sky. “We’ll go back if Captain doesn’t come for us, we’ll bring people to help us-” Her voice cracked, tears brimming her (eye coloured) eyes. “We’ll do it, not for me, but for my people. For the innocent lives that were taken.”

Domino huffed in response as the busy hum of a village came into hearing and she looked ahead, wiping her tears with her muddy sleeve.

“But for now, we’re nobody. Just a traveller.” Reece whispered softly. “If those men come for us, we can’t have these people in harm's way by knowing who I am.”