Chapter 5

“You’re a traveller right?” He turned away from the male for a minute, the lighting in the inn making shadows cast across the man’s face from his hood

“You’re a traveller right?” He turned away from the male for a minute, the lighting in the inn making shadows cast across the man’s face from his hood. She simply nodded, holding her arm that the innkeeper just grabbed to her, rubbing the area soothingly. “Travellers are usually medics- come help my friend out and we’ll let you stay with us the night. For free.”

“Oh, but I’m-“ Reece started but got cut off.

“You don’t have an option really, you stay here and pay for your room however that man wants you to, or you take a chance with me.” His voice was firm. Reluctantly, Reece nodded and the male grabbed her wrist gently and lead her towards the stairs to the rooms the floor above.

“Ah, you’re back- Okay I have a wound and you’re bringing back girls, seriously?” The male propped himself up on the bed on one arm, sweat causing a sheen to cover his face.

“She’s a medic.” The male pushed her towards the man. “Fix him and I’ll uphold our end of the bargain.”

“Sir, I am terribly sorry but-“ Reece was cut off yet again.

“Sorry about him, he’s quite… protective of me. He always has been. I literally fell off my horse earlier and scraped myself and injured my ankle.” The male on the bed smiled kindly.

Reece sighed running a hand through her hair, the mention of him falling off his horse reminding her of her own wounds that would get infected if she didn’t wash soon.

“May I see your scrapes?” She spoke softly. He nodded and peeled back the sheet, his pants already thrown over the other end of the bed and he simply had a few scratches on his legs that were basically superficial. “They just need cleaning.” She got up and the hooded male pointed to the open door and she headed in.

In there was a bucket of water and an old rag. She dipped the rag in the water before she walked to the male in bed and began tenderly wiping at the scratches.

“And your ankle, can you walk on it?” She asked softly, apologizing every time he winced.

“Not really.” He muttered.

“Can you move it?” She asked. He looked down his leg, ignoring her slender fingers against his thigh, and at his foot which he moved around.

“Yes."

“You’ve simply sprained it.” Reece offered a kind smile before going back to the bucket and rising the cloth.

When she entered the room, the man on the bed was putting his pants back on.

“Since there’s only one bed, you may have it.” He smiled, his foot hovering above the floor. “I and my companion can sleep on the floor-“

“But your highness-“ his companion whisper yelled and she tried not to show her shock, thinking she had been recognized. But when she looked over at the two they were whispering amongst themselves.

You’re in a different kingdom Reece. You ’re not anybody here. Nobody who’s just having a slightly extended stay- that’s all.

“Are you sure you don’t want the bed? You are injured yourself.” Reece smiled at the man.

“Nonsense."

“It’s fine, don’t worry about me-“

“Then at least take my cape.” His mysterious companion muttered, hands rising to the clasp.

“I-“

“If you won’t take the bed, take his cape please.” He smiled. Reece reluctantly took the cape, the man’s stern attitude contradicted to his rather handsome face.

Within the next couple of minutes, Reece was stationed on one of their bags with the cape covering her, the mysterious yet rather sightly man was stationed by the door and the injured male was in the bed already snoring.

Reece sighed, resting her head on the sacks, and she too was out like a light.