Chapter 39

Jungkook burst through the doors panting, he hadn’t seen that many men and women willing to stand against Statha.

“I see you, but no heads.” Namjoon spat, legs crossed as he sat on King Kim’s throne. “What happened?”

“S-She ran… She was with the Prince and his guard, they got inside the four princess’ territory. We followed but Reese stopped-” He gulped air into his lungs. “She fought me and I would’ve at least brought her back for you but that son of a harlot Seokjin blocked my attack-”

“This sounds like you could’ve brought her home, and at least Seokjin’s head.” Namjoon glared from atop the throne at his personal guard.

“I would’ve continued fighting, but there was an army. The rest of the men I had with me were nowhere to be found-” His eyes widened. “The army they brought with them didn’t seem to be the entirety of the men and women ready to fight for them… But it was nearly as big a count as our men- if not more.”

“So our little damsel in distress isn’t running away from her problems then?” Namjoon smirked, a playful glint in his eyes. “Take my men from Asilyra, leave a handful there just in case the citizens decide to rebel. Take my men from every Kingdom I currently have power in, leave only enough to keep the citizens subdued.”

“Your highness, are you sure?” Jungkook asked.

“She’s rallied up an army, it’s time to show her that she might as well stop running and fighting and just marry me.” Namjoon snarled. “Send your men out to spread the news.”

“Yes your highness.” Jungkook bowed before leaving the throne room.

In Haven...

“You are an idiot you know that right?” Hoseok yelled at her as they spoke in private, which at this point wouldn’t be private because everybody would hear them. “Jungkook is one of the best fighters out there, and you who has had a week of training decided to face him by yourself?”

“Would you rather save hundreds, if not more, lives. Or just one?” She narrowed her eyes at him.

“One. I’d rather have your life spared and those people die, including myself.” He snarled.

“Despicable.” She shook her head, running a hand through her hair. “I chose you as my personal guard because we saw eye to eye, but by sacrificing hundreds of lives including your own to save mine?” She raised a brow, a simple but threatening challenge towards the male. “You might as well be grovelling in front of Kim Namjoon.”

Hoseok’s eyes widened, and he realised that he had hurt her.

“Princess-”

“Get out!” She barked, tears brimming her eyes. “I don’t want you fighting in this battle, this war beside me if you’re not going to agree with me.”

“Princess, please-”

“My mother died wanting you to be my personal guard, my father allowed it. My father died to make sure you survived to help me out. But all you’re doing is being a fussy overprotective parent to me.” She turned her back towards him so he wouldn’t see her cry. “Since I escaped, you’ve not helped me whatsoever. Now get out of my room.”

“Yes, your highness.” He spoke quietly and left the room. Once she heard the door shut, she sat on the edge of her bed and cried. If the person she thought she could trust would give answers like that.

Her thoughts were cut off by a knock at the door. She wiped her tears with the back of her hand and the door opened. Taehyung stood there with a sad smile.

“I heard everything…” He stepped into the room and shut the door behind him, in the seconds he took to shut the door he was taken aback when he felt two arms wrap around him and wet tears hit his shirt. He sighed softly and held her close, his heart racing at the fact he finally got to embrace her like this- But the guilt was eating him up. His best friend, his captain of the guard, looked at her all too fondly and sometimes she would return the same gaze.

He ignored the guilt, because right now, she just needed comfort and Seokjin was discussing battle plans with the four princesses downstairs and the captains of each legion of the guards.

“It’ll be okay…” He whispered softly, rubbing her back. Reese held onto him tightly, her body shaking with the sobs. “He’s just scared of losing you, he thought he had lost you once already-” She sniffled softly, rubbing the material of his shirt between her fingers and he figured it was a comforting thing.

“Are you tired?” He asked softly, she nodded weakly into his shirt after she cried into him for twenty minutes. He scooped her up gently and walked towards the bed, careful around her shoulder. Jimin had told him moments prior to him hearing Reese’s and Hoseok’s row. He laid her down and sat on the edge of the bed, her arms wrapped around a small bear in the bed and one hand was left outstretched, holding onto his hand.

Taehyung looked at the Princess laying there, her eyes red and skin blotchy from where she had been crying.

“Thank you…” She whispered softly, eyes fluttering closed. “For taking me in, being kind… for forgiving me despite the lies I told…”

He went to speak but she started again.

“Once I finally reclaim my kingdom…” She whispered and he could tell she was falling asleep. “I want you as an ally. Someone I can trust…” With that her lips parted and soft snores left her lips and he smiled.

“I’d like that too…” He pushed a stray piece of hair out her face as her grip on his hand lessened and he stood up, stretching out. “I’ll be back soon.” He whispered to her sleeping self. With that he left the room, even more silently than he had entered it.