Chapter 14

Taehyung looked at Reese with a blank gaze, processing the name that had reached his ears

Taehyung looked at Reese with a blank gaze, processing the name that had reached his ears. Reese, however, was worried that he would see through her lie, and call her out right then and there. She felt terrible that she had to lie to such a nice guy, but she couldn't put them in danger for her sake. Just earlier, SeokJin was almost shot with an arrow if she hadn't stepped in front of him. Given she got called an idiot, but she couldn't have him injured because of her- it was his duty to protect Taehyung, not Reese.

Reese suddenly felt her hand be palmed by Taehyung, making her look into his eyes. The princess felt so guilty that she was lying to Taehyung, it didn't feel right and the fact that her mother's words echoing in her heart made it worst.

“Why… why do your eyes look so sad?” he asked in a soft voice.

Reese was caught off guard by his question. Had he seen right through her? For a few moments, she stared into his eyes, picking apart each emotion burning behind. Her heart began to beat quickly as she saw his soul; flames of care burned with passion.

“I don't deserve your kindness Taehyung…” she whispered, fiddling with her hairpin. “I'm a stranger to you…”

Taehyung shook his head before leaning towards the young traveller. Ever so gently, he wrapped his arms around her form, minding her wounds. Reese tensed up as he felt the prince tuck her face into his shoulder but soon relaxed as he caressed the back of her head. Taehyung rested his head against hers, letting Reese feel his warmth.

“I don't see a stranger,” he cooed softly. “I see a young woman who's hurt on the inside and needs help, but is afraid that they'll get hurt because of it.”

Reese's eyes widened to the size of teacup saucers, feeling his words melt into her heart. How could Taehyung be so nice and so sweet to her?

“It's okay if you don't want to open up to me,” Taehyung continued. “I understand but if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. You're in my home, and you're my guest, so please let me take care of you while you're here.”

Reese weakly clutched his clothes into her hands, where they shook slightly. His warmth, it reminded Reese of her mother's; Taehyung's warm bear hugs mirrored her's. She couldn't help it as tears began to stream down her cheeks, all her sadness pouring out of her. Taehyung didn't falter, only hugging her tighter as she wept. His heart yearned to comfort her, to him, it felt like she was lost in loneliness.