Chapter 17

Both men, despite Seokjin’s hushed arguing, slept in the stables that night sat either side of Domino’s door

When the morning came, and Mark walked in to see not only Seokjin asleep against the wooden door frame but Prince Taehyung asleep against the wooden doorframe.

Reese slowly awoke, finding a cape thrown over her and Domino, and she figured that Mark must’ve put it there to keep her warm.

She rubbed her eyes gently and saw Mark towering over the door, watching her with wide eyes.

“Sophie, you have both his Highness and the captain outside. Like literally right here.” He pointed and her eyes widened.

She opened the door slowly, cape wrapped around her and as she latched it shut she heard a grumble from her left.

“So you’re awake then,” Seokjin muttered.

“Why did you let the prince sleep outside?” She whisper-yelled at him. She felt some sort of duty to repay his kindness to him, and she couldn’t do that if he was sleeping upright in the cold in a stable.

“Because he wanted to care for you after you decided to sleep out here and not tell anybody!” He returned the whisper-yell, rising to his feet.

“You’re acting as if you’re the victim here.” Her voice shook with anger, tears brimming her eyes. “I didn’t ask for you to help me at that tavern, I didn’t ask to be seen with you, you’re the one that made me come with you, just for you to alienate me when I got here.”

Seokjin felt his heart ache at the sight of her crying and he tried not to let the emotion show.

“But you know what? You may have treated me like some dirt on your finest pair of shoes, but I still took an arrow for you, I still took it upon myself to say thank you when you came to save me.” The tears freely fell at this point.

Seokjin sighed softly, restricting himself so he didn’t reach out and wipe her tears away.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, causing her to freeze despite the tears still falling.

“What?”

“I’m sorry for making you feel alienated, and I’m sorry for not coming to you sooner. If I had realized you were in danger sooner, you mightn’t have gotten as injured-“

She cut him off with a quick and gentle hug before stretching out and heading out the stable. Seokjin’s heart raced slightly.

But the quick hug was long enough for Taehyung to see, and for his heart to ache.