Chapter 24

The castle hallways were lit with lanterns that left a soft glow behind

The castle hallways were lit with lanterns that left a soft glow behind. SeokJin and Reese walked side by side as they headed to her room. The princess was feeling better after spending some time outside of the castle walls and with the children at the orphanage. It soothed her heart to smile and laugh with them, it was something she really needed after everything.

The two stopped in front of Reese's chamber, and turned to face each other. The princess fiddled with the guard's cape as it still hung around her form.

“Thank you for today,” she whispered, a light smile on her lips.

SeokJin returned the gesture, adding in a gentle pat on her head. He too felt happy that Reese was feeling better, though he wished that she would eat more. The man couldn't get his mind off of how beautiful she was while playing with the children at the orphanage. He began to regret assuming she was a threat to the prince. She wasn't, she had a good heart, but he hoped that she would stop sneaking off without letting anyone know.

“Rest now Sophie,” he hummed. “We might go into town again tomorrow, so get some sleep.”

She nodded while turning to open her bedroom door. Before she could slip in, SeokJin stopped her.

“Ah, wait I forgot something,” he huffed.

Reese's curiosity was peaked as she watched the guard dig around in his shoulder bag. The sounds of things hitting together echoed through the hallway before the man found what he was looking for. He pulled out a chocolate brown stuffed bear, holding it up for Reese to take.

With gentle hands, she took it, admiring the softness of the doll.

“What's this?” she asked, hugging it.

SeokJin's smile grew wider, seeing her like his gift for her.

“I just thought you needed another friend to keep you company during the night,” he chuckled. “I'm glad you like him.”

“Thank you SeokJin, I love it,” she giggled lightly.

SeokJin hesitantly opened his arms up, slightly desperate for Reese's hug. She tilted her head in confusion before happily obliging. He wrapped his arms tightly around her, and stayed like that for a few minutes. Eventually they pulled away.  

“Goodnight Sophie,” SeokJin hummed.
“Goodnight SeokJin,” she replied.

Softly shutting the door behind her, Reese climbed onto her bed. She held the teddy bear in her hands, looking at its cute features.

Tonight, she could sleep well.