Chapter 42

Reese slipped into the royal stables, wanting to visit Domino. The horse stood at attention, neighing softly as she approached. The princess reached out to stroke his silky smooth muzzle, happy huffs gracing her ears. Domino nuzzled his snout into Reese's neck, embracing her almost. 

“You'll help me through this, right Domino?” Reese coaxed, looking into the horse's big black eyes. 

Domino nodded his head, his hooves stomping onto the ground. He will always remain loyal to the princess, after all, she had been in his care ever since he was born. The least he could do is stay by her. 

The princess pampered the black and white horse, taking the time to brush his coat and mane. More than anything, Domino loved being petted by Reese, he could feel the love in her touch. 

Just like that night back at the Adarewien stables, she fell asleep with Domino. She was free to lean against Domino's large body before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep. 

A few hours later...

Reese was awakened when she heard the door to the stable open. The hinges groaned with a squeak, causing her to slip out of a state of sleep. A silky cape was gently pulled over her, covering her bare arms exposed by her dress. 

Ever so slowly she peeled her eyes open, coming face to face with Domino's thick neck. She remained still and pretended to be asleep as she felt someone sit down beside her. A hand made itself known on top of her head, gently caressing her hair. 

“I'm sorry Reese.” 

It was Hoseok. 

The argument they had a couple of days ago was still stuck in her mind. Though she vented out to SeokJin, she didn't think that Hoseok would approve of her contract. If she were to die, her throne would be passed to them, leaving Asilyra in their hands. However, she trusted them, despite the woes they've been through. 

Reese remained quiet, feeling her guard's warm touch. 

“I should have never snapped at you,” he whispered in a sorrowful voice. “I'm just so scared of losing you- you're the only one I have left and…”

His voice faded to a painful whisper, and she could feel the tears in his eyes. She bit her lip, trying to suppress her tears as well. Reese knew what he was going to say next, and it was never easy on her, especially now that they're in the same boat. 

“I don't want to be left alone… you mean so much to me…” 

Reese couldn't take it anymore and she shot up, terrifying the young guard as he thought she was asleep. She swiveled around and threw her arms around the man's neck, hugging him for dear life. Hoseok was stiff at first, however, he soon returned the hug, wrapping his arms tightly around her small waist. Domino joined in as well, embracing the guard and princess with a neigh.