Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Julia's POV

It's been a week and I have somehow managed to avoid Max. I haven't seen him at all, not even in the cafeteria.

I know that, as much as I don't want to, I have to go to assembly, because sometimes the announcements are really important. I won't be able to avoid Max today.

When I walk into the hall, I decide to take a seat at the back. I glance at Max and, thankfully, he isn't looking at me.

"Hey, girl! Did you finish your trig homework because I can't fucking do that shit. Can you help me with it, because at this point I want to burn my textbooks?" Diana says, plopping down into an empty seat beside me.

I chuckle. "Sure. I'm free tonight. I'll just show you then?" She nods and gives me a grateful smile, then turns to face the front as the principal starts talking.

I zone out and stare at the roof, wanting nothing more than to go to sleep. There have been an insane amount of tests and assignments due and it has been so stressful. The best thing right now would be pizza, popcorn, Netflix, my bed, some chicken nuggets, maybe a milkshake, a giant portion of fries, a huge pretzel, hot chocolate with little marshmallows, maybe some kind of pasta, sushi, strawberries dipped in chocolate, a baguette, cotton candy, chocolate cake- you get the point.

"Any more announcements before we end?" the principal asks, glancing at the spinners. Finally, I can leave!

I look around, hoping none of the spinners say anything, but much to my dismay, Max puts his hand up. The principal nods and steps back, allowing Max to speak.

"I think this entire system is - excuse my language - absolute bullshit!" Max shouts. "I think we should be able to choose our friends and who we fall in love with. I mean, we already have so many enemies, why does our own high school have to put us against each other, too? It's crazy! Who came up with it? Yes, I am in love with a girl that's a Daredevil. So what? Whose damn business is it, anyway? I think we shouldn't have to hold back caring about someone because of some stupid made up rules. Who is with me?" Max shouts and punches the air.

People cheer and nod in agreement, and even the principal nods.

"There is this girl, her name is Julia, and I am absolutely crazy about her. Yeah, she drives me up the damn wall sometimes, but for some reason, I still care about her. Julia, I have been trying to say this to you but it has never felt like the right time. I... I love you."

For a moment, the whole world stops.

Nobody has ever said that to me before.

I purse my lips and stand up, and everyone glances at me. Taking my time, I walk around everyone and up to the front of the hall, to where Max is standing.

"Really?" I whisper, but I know that everyone can hear me. They are all dead silent, waiting to see what happens. Even the freaking teachers are leaning forward in their seats.

Max nods and takes my hand, gently squeezing it. "You have no idea." 

Max's POV

Julia lets out a fake laugh and pulls her hand out of my grip, making me frown. I am about to ask her why she is laughing, but she starts talking before I can.

"You're pathetic. I mean, seriously? Do you really think I believe that bullshit?" she says. Then, she turns to all the students and raises her voice. "See, this is proof that the Daredevils are the best! Dominators always want what they can't have, and that's why they will never win. Daredevils always win!"

I stare at her, frozen in my place, as she embarrasses me in front of the entire school. I grab her wrist. "Stop," I whisper, only making her smile widen.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Does this hurt, sweetheart? It sucks, doesn't it?" she says, pouting and nodding at me.

I clench my jaw and glance away. "Yeah. Please?"

"Aww, I've got this little dominator begging!" she shouts. People start chanting 'Daredevil'.

"Do you consider this winning?" I question. "Hurting other people is your idea of winning?"

"Well, I know that I haven't lost," she states.

"Don't be too sure about that," I mumble.

She rolls her eyes and walks out, and after a moment, everyone else slowly gets up and starts making their way out so they can get to classes.

I don't move.

If I do, I'm scared I might break down. I close my eyes and stay exactly where I am. I can hear everyone's whispers about what just happened, which makes it all so much worse.

A part of me wants to punch a wall, but the other part of me just wants to fall to the ground and cry, not that I would admit it to anyone else.

The hardest thing is trying to stay standing, when inside it feels like I am falling. Crashing. Dying.

I can't believe she did that to me. She knew how much something like this would hurt me, and she did it anyway, in front of every single one of my friends, enemies and teachers.

A few of my friends and the teachers come to check if I am okay, but I nod and wave them off. Soon, they leave and, once again, I am all alone.

I suppose even when I was in a room full of people, I felt alone. I stood in front of Julia, but in that moment, I was so alone.

I didn't think anything could hurt me more than that game of truth or dare when I was young, but Julia did it again. She proved that I was right about love; it's all a fucking lie. Nothing has changed.

A tear slips down my cheek and I immediately wipe it away, glad nobody was here to see it. I shake my head in utter disappointment.

The one girl I had chosen to let in...

~~*~~

YOU GUYS THIS IS SOOO HARD. I hate hurting Max like this. I know Julia's going too far, but tbh it would be so boring if she just said I love you too... The end. Nahhh bruh gotta have that DRAMAAAA ;)

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG