Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Julia's POV

I've managed to avoid Max for a couple of weeks now, but it feels wrong. I can't explain why because this shouldn't be how love works. How could I have fallen so fast and so hard?

I have no reason to love him.

I walk out of the English classroom where everyone just wrote a test. I am used to saying 'it went alright' and then I get my mark back and I'm like 'shit, well at least I'm not trying to become an actuarial scientist'.

I have no idea what exactly I want to do, but maths is not it. Thank you, next.

I hear Max call my name, but I ignore it and keep walking. When he calls again, he sounds closer, so I pick up my pace.

Suddenly, I feel his hand on my wrist and he pulls me to face him. "Come with me," he demands and doesn't give me a chance to argue because he is already dragging me through the school hallways.

People glance at us but nobody really says anything. "Where are we going?" I ask as we start to get to the quieter end of the school.

Max stops when we reach a place where nobody is around. "Tell me you don't feel anything for me at all. Say it?"

I roll my eyes. "Max—"

"Say it," he demands and pulls me by the shirt so that I am closer to him. "Because I can't get over you and I just need to hear it from you. I deserve that, right? Just say you feel nothing."

I hold onto his wrist and he lets my shirt go, but doesn't meet my gaze. "I..." I hesitate. "If I said I felt nothing at all, I would be lying. You know that. But like I said already, we can't. Get over yourself, Max."

I step back and turn to walk away, but Max steps in my way and walks towards me. I make my way backwards, until I hit a wall.

My heart starts to race and it becomes harder to breathe, but I can't really explain why. He reaches me and I can't look into his eyes, so I just stare at the floor.

He grips my face and turns me to look up at him, then slowly runs his thumb along my bottom lip. I close my eyes and soon I feel his lips gently brushing against mine.

The kiss deepens but I pull away before it can go too far. Max clenches his jaw. "I don't know what is wrong with me. I can't stay away from you. I didn't even come here to try and get you back. I wanted to tell you about..." He sighs. "Whatever."

"Tell me what? Why did you bring me here?"

"I wanted to say that you have not changed at all. That even after all these years you are so damn beautiful yet so... out of reach."

"What are you talking about? We only met this ye—"

"Of course you wouldn't remember me. You ruined my life, but why would you care? Some how you still have me under your spell. Why can I not stop caring about you?"

"I don't..." I shake my head. I don't know what the hell he is talking about.

"You were that girl. You were the girl who ruined love for me all those years ago, during spin the bottle. I hated you for embarrassing me in front of my friends and then you come here and you do it all over again." Max slams his hand on the wall beside my head and I flinch slightly. "I have changed everything I possibly could about myself. Still, you ruin me. Still, I am in love with you and I know you'll never really feel the same way. You're the reason I started this whole hump and dump game, Julia. Then this year you barge into my life and you break me all over again. What more do you want? I've already changed everything I possibly could about myself. You destroyed love for me."

"You blame me for ruining love? Just because I didn't want to kiss you when I was little, really?" I roll my eyes.

He wraps his hand around my arm. "You laughed at me for loving you. You always have."

"And yet you're still in love with me... Why?" I ask.

He stares at me, his eyes scanning over every detail of my face. "I can't explain it."

When I don't reply for a while, he walks off. I stand against the wall, completely stunned, but then I try to catch up to him again.

I reach him when he walks into the cafeteria and step in front of him so that he can't keep walking away from me.

"I can't explain it either. I love you and I don't know why. I didn't believe in all this soul mate shit and I still don't but there is something that keeps pulling me towards you. You have no idea how hard it has been trying to stop these feelings. Especially when all I want to do is kiss you over and over again."

"Did you say you love me?" he asks and I nod.

Max smiles and dips his head down. He is about to kiss me again, but suddenly, there's a gun shot.

Someone screams. Max and I turn to see a girl leaning over the body of her friend. Two more people are hit. Max turns to look at who it is. A student whose name I don't know stands with a gun, now pointed at Max.

My heart stops when he pulls the trigger.

~~*~~

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG