Epilogue

Epilogue

Max's POV

I gasp and sit up all of a sudden. A million questions run through my head. Where's Julia? Where am I? Was I just shot? How am I still here? Is this heaven? What the hell? Why am I so damn hungry?

I'm alive.

Holy shit, I was shot. Or was that a dream?

The pain in my chest, the hospital gown, the needles stuck in my arm. It all tells me that it was definitely not a dream.

A doctor walks into my room with a small, sad smile on his face. "Good to see you with your eyes open."

"Yeah." I smile. "It's good to have my eyes open."

The doctor nods. "So I am sure you have a lot of questions. You were in a high school shooting along with a few other classmates. Julia, who was your... girlfriend, I assume, was shot too but she survived. Your heart did stop for a few seconds but because of her, we were able to save you. You'll recover in a few weeks or months, but as long as you follow our instructions you'll be okay."

"Okay... W-Where is Julia? She's okay?"

The doctor sighs and stares down at the ground in silence. Then, he pulls a note out his pocket and hands it to me.

I unfold the little yellowish piece of paper and find Julia's hand writing.

"I knew that we would never be right for each other. Not if we were being realistic. What we had was short and complicated and nothing close to what love should be.

So I'm giving you my heart. I'm giving you all of me. So that maybe you can find out what love is.

Live the rest of your life. Make sure you enjoy every second of it and never be afraid to love again. I hope you find everything you dream of.

Life is short, Max. Please use my heart wisely.

- J :)"

I stare at the paper and read the words over and over again. Maybe I am understanding it wrong. No, no, I don't get it. I though she was okay. This has to be a mistake.

This has to be...

After my fifth time reading it, I look up at the doctor. "I-I don't..."

"I'm so sorry, mister Holland."

"No, she's fine. You said she survived."

"Yes. She survived the shooting but you wouldn't have... unless we did a heart transplant. She died to save you."

All the oxygen in my body is knocked out of me. I stare down at the little smiley face at the end of the letter, unable to truly comprehend what I was just told.

She actually gave me her heart. She died for me. "No," I say and shake my head. "No, is it too late? She can't die for me. She has to be alive. She's lying. This is a lie. Give it back to her. Bring her back."

"I'm sorry, sir. It is not a lie. We can show you her body if you'd like," he offers.

I purse my lips and nod.

A few seconds later, Julia walks into the room. What? A million emotions hit me, mainly confusion and a whole lot of relief. "You're alive? What is happening?"

She smiles. "Yeah. April fools."

"What? Are you insane? Then how am I alive? What the f*ck, Julia. Wait, f*cking hug me! You're okay. We're alive."

She chuckles and moves to me, then wraps her arms around me. I pull her closer, into a bone-crushing hug.

I should be mad, but I'm so happy. She is okay.

"Come on, that was good though. I mean, best April fools ever. But I really do love you and I would give you my heart if you needed it, but luckily you didn't cause there was a donation. Sorry I scared you but at the same time I'm not sorry."

"You almost made my second heart explode, crazy." I pull her closer and kiss her. "I love you, too."

She slides beside me in the hospital bed and we talk and laugh until we can't keep our eyes open anymore.

It may have been a prank,  but she is my heart. She makes me happy, and I'll do anything it takes to make her smile.

Maybe this isn't the perfect kind of love, but it can be. If not, that's okay. As long as I can keep her in my arms for now.

~~*~~

WHEW! Well that was crazy. THANKS FOR 1 MILLION READS YA'LL.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG