Part One. Chapter Two. Alex

And so came the day that I had dreaded for the last four or five weeks; Marcus' birthday. It's not known why that their internal wolves come to let them know just who the Moon Goddess had them paired with no sooner that when the moon reached its zenith on the night of their birthday, be it, full crescent or new. But I've heard it described as being sudden, being hit with an irresistible scent and the need to know where it originates from. However, it will only occur if the younger of the pair is also eighteen, otherwise the wolves will hold back on uniting them. That can be painful if there is an age gap, but those who have faith in their Goddess endure. Those that don't... well I have heard rumours that the human side can overrule the wolf side, but that can lead the wolf into retaliating. I have read things on rogue shifter's, that they either become almost completely human physically, but generally more aggressive and quick to snap or almost completely animal, but without the fear of humans that a lot of wild creatures have and greater intelligence to boot.

Marcus' birthday came and went, the wolves went out on a drinking session after the zenith past, something I can't and won't join in unless I wish to risk alcohol poisoning. His mate did not appear that night. In a way, this, to me, is like a plaster that has yet to be ripped off and worse, it is tugging at the hair follicles on my arm. His mate is younger than him. I am also younger than him. And Charles met his mate a week ago and that mate is a man.

I didn't know that that could happen. Obviously, homosexuality is not that rare in humans or vampires, definitely not fey who will fuck anything that moves given the opportunity. It is rarer in elves and practically unheard of with dwarves. But I didn't know it could happen with shifters. Though vampires and fey and shifters are all the Moon Goddess' children and she is all about bringing forth couples to create a new generation of grand babies for her to smother.  Vampires live forever and may be paired with mates a few times over the centuries, if say one dies of unnatural causes. Fey are promiscuous until the moment they are bonded, but may also bond to multiples. I heard their King has like ten wives, though this may be exaggerated. But shifters very much mate for life and though occasionally, the Moon Goddess will gift them a second chance mate if they are rejected or lose their first mate too soon, they will stay with that mate, have babies and live to a grand old age before dying with that mate. Seeing as male shifters cannot produce babies under any circumstances, I was surprised to hear of the mating of two men.

Marcus let me know that it was very rare, but not unheard of. The Moon Goddess had her reasons, he said. He wouldn't allow anyone to belittle Charles and his mate's relationship or suggest that it was a mistake or anything. He reminded me why I loved him so much. It also made me hope way too much.

Charles was happy, that was the main thing. He gushed about his man, earning him evil eyes from David, who was still sour that his mate wouldn't be the woman of his dreams. "Let me hear you again when you are suffering because we've all gotten our mates pregnant," he said, unkindly.

"David," Marcus warned with a growl.

"There is always adoption," I mentioned before adding, "though I guess I've never known how you guys feel about that."

"Adoption is rare," Marcus mused, "not because wolf children won't ever have to suffer becoming orphans, but more that those orphans will be taken in by family members almost without fail."

Charles placed his hand on my arm. He is one of the few members of the pack that I actually have to look up to view. He winked at me. "Thank you," he said softly and I actually blushed. I'm sure any homosexual thinks about children or the lack of at some point, even if it is just to decide that they are fine without them. Male fey can get pregnant to male mates and even a few rare human men can also fall, but generally most would have to consider surrogacy or adoption.