Part Six. Chapter Two. Eric

Michael burst through the front door exactly forty minutes after our phone conversation, in which I had to beg him to come home first, when I knew all he really wanted to do was head straight for the pack lands and lay waste to everyone living there.  That wouldn't help Alex, that would just put him into more potential danger, him and the children.  Worse, it was clearly his father's intention to use Alex to get Michael to do whatever it was he wanted and we still did not know exactly what that was.  Why did he need Michael to be the Alpha when he had Gabriel?  Why had he trained Gabriel with that intent then suddenly changed his mind?  We simply didn't have enough answers.

"Let's go," were his first words to me.  I had managed to convince him as well for us to go to the Pride lands.  Not only would we be closer to Alex that way, but we would be protected from the Alpha's manipulations... temporarily anyway.  There was only so long that man would wait.  I grabbed my keys and Pride ID, but just as I did, Michael's phone began to ring.

He frowned, it was an unknown number.  As he answered it, he put it on speaker.  "Hello?"

"Don't come here."  We glanced at each other.  The voice seemed to belong to Gabriel.

"He kidnapped my mate!" Michael barely bit back his growls.  "How do you expect me to do nothing?"  My tiger was roaring inside me in agreement.

"I don't," he replied.  "But something weird is going on and I haven't had a chance to look into it properly."

"Like what?" I asked, before Michael could shut him down.

"Like Elves," he said.  Elves?  Like humans, elves could potentially become mates though it was rare, but with the Alpha clearly not liking his pack mating with anyone who wasn't a wolf, it could be considered unusual for elves to be on his land.

"Are they supplying the loans?"  Michael suggested.  Elves loved wealth more than vampires did, hoarding it and spending it on lavish lifestyles.  The only difference was that vampires never hid this habit of theirs, whilst elves liked to spread the illusion that they were untouchable, higher beings that did not need money and worldly goods.  I'm sorry, but you need copious amounts of money in order to be able to afford to design and build otherworldly looking properties that seem to enhance their woodland surroundings rather than blend into them.  Oh and not to mention that there always seems to be a stunning waterfall and lake nearby.  Let us not forget the pretty gold head pieces, earrings, belts et cetra that they liked to wear over pristine white clothing at social gatherings, while telling you all of those pieces were hand made.  One had to get the money for the high quality materials somewhere.

"Not sure," Gabriel replied.  "John was looking into that for me. But I don't like the smell of these elves. It's like standing next to the body of a vampire who is badly dehydrated and suffers halitosis due to old age."

"Gabriel, that doesn't make any sense," Michael stated. He sighed before demanding; "Look, just give me one good reason why I shouldn't come over there and challenge that bastard of an old man! In fact, why haven't you done so yet and taken your rightful place?"

"He has Evangeline," Gabriel stated. "He has her practically under house arrest at the pack house. He claims it is for her safety and that of our pup. But he's basically ensuring I can't do a damn thing against him. Too many of the older generation are still fully loyal to him. Do you think it will be any better for you with Alex trapped here?"

"Gabriel, he's pregnant with our children," Michael murmured, I could feel his wolf howling in frustration in his heart.

There was a long pause before Gabriel sighed. "I would ask how that is possible, but I won't. This is the blessing that the Goddess has seen fit for you after all. I'd say congratulations, but it seems ill-timed. I will try and see to his safety, I swear. But we need a plan in place before you come here. Otherwise he will have two puppets dancing to his tune."