Part Four. Chapter Two. Alex

"So, I take it things are going well for you and Doctor Haze," Clover smiled as we drank coffee together in the break room. I glanced over my cup, trying to act innocent, but no one can pull the wool over Clover's sharp eye. Honestly, I think she has eagle or falcon blood somewhere in her ancestry, even if she's not a shifter herself.

"What makes you say that?" I asked, hoping that I wasn't blushing as madly as I thought at that moment.

"My dear," she said, knowingly, tapping my face with her barely lined hand. "You are practically glowing."

"Hmph," the nurse, Ms Kingsley sneered. The woman was one of the nurses that had started working on geriatrics at the same time as Michael.  She was a tall woman, easily the same height as me and very beautiful, her make up not overly done, just enhancing her already pleasing features.  Her hair was two toned as far as my eyes could tell, one shade at the roots, another about an inch from her scalp, indicating that she dyed it.  She was also very full of herself and considered herself above me on the social ladder.  After all, she had finished high school and studied four years as an undergraduate to become a nurse, whereas I was just the cleaner.  Therefore I had no right to use her first name.  Not that it bothered me.

Clover rolled her eyes heavenward at the haughty Mademoiselle, causing me to snigger.  "You won't be laughing like that, when you hear what I have to tell you," the woman said, bitchily.  "Your Doctor Haze is just using you.  I have it on clear authority that the man is married."  She thrust her chest forward, straining the seams of her tunic top.

"We know," Clover and I said together, causing me to glance over at her.  Like I said, nothing gets past this woman.

"I just assumed his husband was also your mate," she whispered to me.  As she had already gained Michael's reassurance that he was not simply playing with me, that I was his mate and as she had seen how close I was becoming to him, she had kept the knowledge of his spouse to herself.  She knew that gossip ran quickly around the hospital and didn't wish for Michael's or my job to be jeapodised due to an 'extra marital affair.'

"He is," I reassured her.  However, I reminded myself to let Michael know that word was loose.  Ms Kingsley looked more furious that I had not given her the reaction that she desired and moved to storm out of the room, however her dramatic exit was blocked by Doctor Taylor, another of my mate's admirers.  Ms Kingsley passed her, without so much as an acknowledgement, but the Doctor was too busy glancing over the break room to be bothered to care.

She tapped her manicured nails upon the doorframe.  "I don't suppose anyone knows where Doctor Haze might be?"

Clover glanced at me with a pitying sigh.  "Doctor Haze isn't currently working," she told the woman.

"He's not due to begin until around six pm," I added helpfully.  Clover looked at me as if I was mad, but I simply shrugged.  Perhaps I was feeling a little more secure in my own skin at that moment, which was why I shared more information than I needed to, but to be honest, the woman could have found out his schedule on her own anyway.

"Oh, a pity, my shift ends before then," she pouted with full, painted lips.  "I'll catch him another time."  Her dazzled eyes irritated me, but I held my tongue.  I'm Michael's mate, he is mine, I chanted to myself the remaining part of the afternoon, while ignoring several mean glances directed at me from the younger nurses.

I felt drained and exhausted by the time Eric came to pick me up.  He waited in the hospital's main reception with Michael as I descended.  "Are you alright, sweetheart?"  Eric asked with a concerned voice.

"Tired, carry me," I said, childishly, where really I just wanted their arms about me, holding me, reassuring me. Eric chuckled and lifted me into his arms (it probably looked awkward considering my height is only around four inches less than his), while Michael placed a kiss onto my temple. "Oh," I said, turning to him, "the rumour mill is in full effect. You might find you are interrogated." He simply raised an eyebrow, before nodding and bidding us both a goodnight.