Part Two. Chapter One. Michael.

Author's note; 18+

I thank the Goddess that I was not only on the night shift, that it turned out to be fairly quiet, no drama and no emergencies. How was I supposed to concentrate with that scent teasing my memories, a scent that I never expected and never thought could exist. It had totally thrown me through a loop.

I had made my way to the ward for my first night shift in this hospital. I had only been a doctor here for a month, considered a junior, but qualified with my degree, doctorates and medical licence. And of course with my on site experience with other hospitals and surgeries. This was not the start of my focus working in geriatrics, but it would take many more years before I was considered a specialist. The night shift was probably going to be one that was sure to be the first of many I would work with a few other more experienced doctors and I was expecting to introduce myself to the nurses and auxiliaries that usually took this shift. I would shadow Doctor Simmons, and Doctor Kingsley from the day shift would speak to us about any patients he had concerns with, before we would check on those in our care and ensure everything was well with them.  Then the auxiliaries could settle them for the night. There would be a couple more checks throughout the night, more if the need was there. And we would be on hand if there was an emergency or if a new patient came in needing a bed.

The elevator doors had opened and a tall youth had been standing there in cleaner's scrubs. He had glanced up at me with large and pretty hazel eyes, almost shadowed by the brim of his cap. The young man looked like he was barely twenty, was too skinny for my liking and his shoulders seemed to droop as if all manner of weights were pulling them down. His eyes had widened, he looked rather startled to see me, especially when I drew in a deep sniff of the air, trying to familiarise myself with him and the hospital. It's an ingrained habit, one he seemed to recognise and it was one that delivered to me his amazing scent. I froze in the corridor and he brushed past me, my wolf whined as if he fled from me.

"What was that?" I questioned my wolf, whose tail wagged slightly before flopping downwards with himself.

Mate... he seemed to whine, quietly. Not really the word, just the impression I received from him.

Shit, how was that possible?

So I spent my first night shift in a bit of a daze, which wasn't fair for any of my patients, I apologised to Doctor Simmons, who slapped me on the back and declared first night shifts were difficult for anyone used to working in the day. Then we handed over to the next doctor on duty before I raced home. I tried not to break any traffic laws in doing so, but I make no promises. At the very least, I did not get caught. I unlocked the door to my house, a nice detached property on the edge of a village. I used to live with a pack but there were... problems. My home had ample land around it, so my wolf could stretch his legs every so often.

"Hey, how was the night shift?" Eric called out from within the kitchen. I could smell fresh pancakes upon the stove and my stomach began to rumble. I sat down at our breakfast bar and looked at him, with half of my mind still elsewhere. Eric turned around and placed a kiss upon my lips. He frowned, shocked at the lack of response I gave. "Hey, what's wrong?" He returned to the hob and grabbed the frying pan and spatula.

"I think," I began, taking in a deep breath of air and his scent that always managed to calm me down. "I think that we may have another mate." The pancake that he was in the process of flipping fell to the floor.

"What?" He stared at me, the lost breakfast forgotten. I repeated what I had said. "How is that possible?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself," I replied. "There was this lad, at the hospital. He was probably a cleaner, I could smell bleach and disinfectant on him, but I could also smell the most amazing, delectable scent coming from him."