Part Three. Chapter Ten. Alex

Author's note; 18+

My apartment seemed colder, darker and greyer than yesterday.  There was no welcome, no sense of satisfaction that I was home, it was a set of rooms in which I would stay until I left for work in the morning.  I placed my door keys onto the hook by the front door and took off my trainers and set them to one side.  I entered my living area and went straight to the kitchen part to dig through the cupboards for something to eat.  Honestly, I didn't feel like eating anything, but my appetite had increased of late thanks to Eric's food and I was hungry.  I settled on a pot noodle.  Not very nutritious, but it would fill a hole.  But first, I wanted a shower.

As I stood naked beneath the hot spray, I leaned against the tiles, my forehead experiencing the contrast of the cold porcelain compared to the steamy water.  Liquid ran down my face that did not come from the plumbing.  Gods, I was stupid wasn't I?  Michael and Eric kept continuously showing me that they cared about me and I kept letting my fears interfere and running away from them.  I already told Michael just a few mornings ago that I wouldn't run anymore and I had fled here twice already this week.  But the apartment was not providing the comforting shelter that I had wanted it to.  Instead, I simply felt alone.

I wallowed in self pity for a while, before reluctantly soaping my body and hair and getting out to dry myself.  I chucked on an old T-shirt and boxers and went to heat the kettle for dinner.  As the water began to boil, there was a knock at the door.  I froze, thinking that I should answer it, but at the same time not wanting to face who was at the door.  What if they finally had tired of me and my stupidity?  The knock came again and I forced my feet to move and headed to the door. 

Through the peephole, I saw that it was Michael.  I opened the door to him, noticing that his large frame took up much of the space in my small hallway as he entered, while refusing to look him in the eye.  I heard the door click behind him as he let loose a sigh.  And then his arms wrapped around me.

"I was afraid that you wouldn't open the door for me," he murmured into my shoulder.

His words gave me pause.  "But why would you be afraid?" I found myself asking.

"I've been insensitive," Michael told me, taking my face into his large palms and tilting my head up the small angle needed for my eyes to meet his.  "I didn't realise that my interactions were causing you pain."

I would have shaken my head in denial if he were not holding it so warmly.  "It's not your fault," I said, feeling the shame of my flight.  "I keep reading too much into things.  Even though you are my mate, I can't help fearing that you and Eric will find a better third out there and leave me."

"Alex, I will say it again and as many times as you need me to," Michael said, leaning forward until his forehead was pressed against mine.  "You are perfect for us.  There will never be anyone that can replace you.  If there was no you, then there would never be another 'third' for us."  I wrapped my arms about his waist as I tried not to cry as each word sank into my heart.  "Alex, I..."  Another knock to the door interrupted what he was going to say, but he turned to open it, before ushering me deeper into my apartment.  He was followed by Eric, who was grinning broadly, one of those incisors of his snagging his bottom lip.

"I brought the Chinese," he grinned and proceeded to place a couple of white carrier bags of food onto my kitchen surface.  "Plates are in the cupboard beside the extractor fan right?"  He asked and I nodded in agreement.  Michael raised an eyebrow and I blushed as I realised that Eric had now been here twice, while this was his first time here.

"Would you like me to show you around?" I asked him, suddenly feeling shy.

He smiled, warmly, his blue eyes seemed even more mesmerising for a moment.  "Yes, I would like that."