Part Six. Chapter Five. Alex

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star...

After the Alpha, the frightening elves and Adriel left the basement, I was left to my own thoughts.  Unfortunately, those thoughts spiralled darkly in my mind, dragging me through a despair that gave rise to more thoughts.. dangerous ones.  But as quickly as the depression threatened to overwhelm me, a flash of orange and silver ran through my mind with an almost childish giggle behind it.  I found myself blinking, the image was fleeting and I couldn't quite pin down what I saw, but an overwhelming sense of love rose from the pit of my midsection and coursed through my veins.

I felt my lips began to curve, even as my heartbeat slowed to a calm pace and I felt fuzzy and warm despite the draft in the cell.  That's right, I couldn't give into my fear, my despair.  I had too much to live for now.  Still, that shadow that felt as if it had been left in the wake of the elves seemed to lurk in the corners of the basement, as if seeking a weak point to threaten my mind.

How I wonder what you are...

Sounds melodramatic right?  It's just how I was feeling at that point. 

Up above the world so high...
Like a diamond in the sky...

So to take my mind off of my dark mood, I began to stroke my stomach and quietly reassure my babies that their fathers would get us out of this somehow.  I told them how much we all meant to those men.  How one of their fathers was a strong wolf and a good, kind, intelligent doctor.  How he was often serious and a little dense at times, but how protective he was of those he loved.  He would take on the world for us.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star...

And then there was their other father, a large, powerful tiger.  He was silly and fun-loving, but secretly clever and observant.  He was lazy and laid back when he could get away with it, yet swift and decisive when needed to be.

How I wonder what you are.

It was too much to early for the babies to hear me or for me to feel them, but I imagined them taking in every word attentively.  And then, more to hear myself that give in to the worries still plaguing me, I began to sing through many of the nursery rhymes my grandmama had sung to me when I was upset as a child and in need of attention.

Bright Sun, Pale Moon,
Father's hand, Mother's love...

I can't say I had a good voice though as I crooned softly, but no one came to complain.  Not that I cared if they did, it was their fault I was stuck down here in the first place after all!

Until dusk, until dawn,
Always watching, from above...

I began to yawn again and my stomach growled reminding me that the toast I had eaten for breakfast was really not enough for my body and it's occupants.  Still, I kept singing, trying to keep my mind occupied.

Pale Moon, Bright Sun,
Heavens black, Heavens blue...

I heard footsteps, soft ones padding down the stairs.

Precious Son, Precious Daughter,
Always here, loving you...

"What are you doing?" It was Samuel.  He held a tray, a sandwich upon it and a glass of milk.  Quickly, I approached the gap in the bars so that he could pass me the food.  I was famished.

"Just singing lullabies," I replied, grabbing the glass that he passed through the bars and quickly gulping half down in less than a second.

"To the babies?" He asked with a bright smile.  His eyes beamed so innocently that I knew he had no part in the Alpha's plans.  I felt that Adriel was not a part of them either seeing as how unhappy he was to hear that I might be harmed by whatever was in store for Michael.