Chapter 14

Can's POV

As soon as Tin was able to wipe off most of the pink lemonade stains from the front of my shirt, I stood up and made an excuse to go to the bathroom.

Tin's touch on my chest was starting to make me feel awkward...and something else... I could not quite pinpoint the feeling.

I was wearing a thin shirt and the wetness made my nipples transparent and Tin was rubbing a little too hard on my shirt with the napkins, and each time he pressed on my nipples, I was feeling some kind of sensation that I could not understand.

Being alone with my thoughts in the bathroom helped me to calm down a little bit. I did not want Tin to see that his touch had affected me in a pleasurable way.

I went to the bathroom sink and turned the faucet on. I scooped some cold water in my hands and splashed it on my heated up face.

I needed to remind myself that Tin was the IC student with the mean and rude mouth who looked down on lower income students like me.

When the heat and redness from my cheeks disappeared, I made my way back to the table. I noticed as I was approaching that mom and Tin were in deep conversation.

Oh shit, I hoped that my mom had not been entertaining Tin with stories of my childhood. I had a lot of events during my younger days that I would rather not let my friends, no matter how close they are to me,  know about, like the day I came home from the doctor's office after I had my circumcision. Please, mom, not that story. Tin will tease me mercilessly if ever my mom told him about it.

"Mom," I said as soon as I reached the table, "if you and Lay are finished with your lunch, we should all thank Tin for treating us and then be on our way."

"Cantaloupe," said mom (how I absolutely hated it whenever my mom addressed me as Cantaloupe, especially in front of other people), "it's a Sunday afternoon, hon, no one wants to stay home on a Sunday afternoon. I have invited Tin and Pete and Ae to watch a movie with us. It's just that Pete and Ae said they had more window shopping to do and had opted to pass, but Tin has agreed to watch with us."

"You guys go ahead," I said,  "I'm gonna go window shopping with Ae and Pete."

"Cantaloupe, you are coming with us," my mom had put on a firm tone of voice that I knew if I disobeyed, I would be in so much trouble.

With a sigh of resignation, I followed mom and Lay and Tin as they walked in the direction of the movie theaters that were conveniently located inside the mall.

"Can," said my mom, "go with Lay to buy the drinks and popcorn while I purchase the movie tickets."

"I'll take care of the drinks and popcorn," Tin offered.

"No," said mom, "you already treated us to lunch so the movie and the rest are on me."

Lay and I went to the theater snack counter and ordered the drinks and popcorn. I was fishing the money to pay for them from my wallet but Tin quickly handed the payment to the cashier.

"You really did not have to, but thanks," I said grudgingly to him. He helped me and Lay to carry the drinks and popcorn as we met up with my mom at the entrance of the movie of our choice.

We had chosen the comedy movie "Instant Family". It took some time for me to adjust to the darkness inside the movie house.

Tin must have noted my hesitation as we were making our way to our seats because I felt him guiding me with a slight hold on my elbow.

I was relieved to finally settle comfortably into our seats. Tin took the aisle seat, I was making a move to sit farther away but my mom pushed me down onto the seat beside Tin, while she and Lay sat on the seats next to me.

I was starting to feel nervous and suspicious. Just what were mom and Tin talking about while I was away from the lunch table earlier? Was my mom conspiring with Tin to keep me in Tin's company?

When I get home, I planned to approach Dad and make sure that Dad is on my side. I can't seem to trust my mom anymore.