Chapter 18

"The offer still stands." He reminds me again and again; at the school cafeteria, in the hallways, while waiting for our transport, in the van, when I go out the van...

And now, I check my phone and realised that he texted me those words, again.

From: Mr Nike x

The offer still standssss

I giggle at how much effort he is making to think about the offer and text him back.

To: Mr Nike x

Y do u want me 2 go out with you so bad??

Immediately, my phone starts to ring and I pick it up without even checking the caller ID because I already knew who was calling.

"Bitches and Hoes Co. How may I assist you?" I joke and switch my phone to the other hand.

"Paradice?" The colour drains from my cheeks.

Shit, I guess I didn't know who was calling.

I give out an awkward laugh but it actually sounds like I'm snorting and coughing at the same time. I push my glasses higher. "H-Hi mum." I stutter, my voice uneven.

Fucking hell, I can't believe I just said those words to my own mother.

"Bitches and Hoes Co.? Are you serious, Paradice? I'm sure that I raised you better than this." My mum utters with a surprisingly calm voice but I know inside, she's losing her shit.

I give out another weird laugh. "I-I was just joking, mum. That wasn't really meant for you. It's not like I sell bitches and hoes for a living." I tell but then slap my forehead when I realise that I just said it with a sarcastic tone in my voice, which I'm sure may lead to a misunderstanding.

I curse a few times in my head when my mum goes silent on the other line.

"Paradice Newman, I'll give you another chance." She finally says. I sigh a breath of relief. "But, next time if I hear you say that - joke or no joke - one more time, there will be consequences."

I nod even though she couldn't see me. "Yes, of course. I won't do that ever again." Then, my phone vibrates. I look at the screen and see Austin's name on top of it.

For my mother's and my own sake, I should decline his call. I'll call him back later and explain why I didn't answer his call.

But as if the world is playing some sick game on me, I accidentally hit the wrong button:

The answer button.

I immediately freeze when Austin speaks through the line. "Because we both know that we want to go out with each other, Par. Stop being a prude and just accept it. Pleaseee." He begs and then laughs at the end without even realising that my mum is hearing the whole thing.

"Paradice, is that a boy's voice I hear? You better not go out with him or I swear, I will-" She didn't even get to finish her sentence when I cut her off and say, "Gotta go do my homework. Bye!" I end her call.

There is a moment of silence between me and him until he breaks it. "Your mum hear the-"

"Yes, yes she did." I put my phone on speaker, take out my glasses and pinched the bridge of my nose out of frustration.

"I'm so sorry, Par. I didn't know and I guess I was just excited or something but that isn't an excuse. The real question is why didn't you just decline the call? I would have understand." He asks, curiosity laced in his voice.