Chapter 21

"Par, are you coming?" Cara asks as she stops in front of me. I shake my head. "No, I'm staying back." I say and adjust my bag. She raises an eyebrow but didn't question it further, something that I am grateful for.

"Well, okay then. Bye!" She waves at me and walks to the foyer. I sigh and then walk towards the hall.

The reason I am staying back is because I want to see Austin practise for his badminton tournament. Plus, it is a very good time to spend time with him - sort of. I guess I'll just take what I have.

Austin doesn't know that I'm staying back so it's kind of like a surprise.

I walk into the hall (which is also the place for people to play badminton) and notice Austin sitting on one of the chairs while wearing his sport shoes. I adjust my glasses and slowly walk towards one of the chairs next to him.

He immediately looks up when I got nearer to him, probably sensed that someone was walking towards him. "Par?" He questions as he blinks a few times, checking whether this is reality or a fantasy.

Trust me Austin, I don't believe it either.

"What on Earth are you doing here, hun? I thought you already went home." He raises an eyebrow and ties his shoelaces. I shrug and put down my bag next to his. "I wanted to stay and watch you play. Is that a crime?" I ask as I take a seat next to him.

He laughs and sits back straight. "Of course not." He ruffles my hair. I swat his hand away. "Hey, no messing with my hair." I huff. He gives me a heart-warming smile. "Your hair is always messy, Par, in case you haven't notice." He points out and stands up.

"Par!" I turn my head and see Katie waving at me with her racket. I wave her back. "What are you doing here?" She askes, giving me - and Austin - a puzzled look.

I shrug. "Our driver said that he needed to send the others back first because he drove a smaller car today so I offered to stay back and go back with Austin later." Lies, I thought in my mind.

But Katie seems to buy it. "Oh alright then. Well get ready to see some killer moves, Par." She shows off by smacking her racket. "I doubt it." I smirk and she hits me on the shoulders playfully.

"Hey!" Austin suddenly calls out and stands between me and Katie. My eyes widen at his actions and I can see that he didn't thought this through either. "Um... The coach is going to call us back. I think you should go first." He covers and holds his middle finger behind his back, showing me that he fucked up. I stifle my giggles when I saw it.

Just as she opens her mouth to speak, the coach whistles and calls her and Austin's name. "Chang! Lawson! Court, now!" He yells. "Told you so." Austin grins. Katie was going to speak but then shakes her head and walks to the court.

"Is your mum cool with this?" He turns and asks me. I give him a sheepish smile. "I kinda lied to her saying that I have some assignments to do at school so I had to stay back." He shakes his head. "Paradice Newman, you are one sneaky girlfriend."

Girlfriend, I love how that word sounds when he says that.

I shrug again and push my glasses higher. "It's how I roll. You better go before the coach whistles for you again." I state and try to push him to the court. He pouts. "But I want to stay with you." I feel my heart flutter at his cuteness. "But you need to practice. I'll be here, okay?" I assure as he leans down to give me a peck on my cheek.

I gasp because that was the second time that a guy has ever kissed my face - both Austin, as might be expected.

"I swear you are the most thoughtful person I know." He utters as he stands back up. I smile, feeling the heat going to my cheeks. "Glad to know that." I hear a whistle and I nudge my head towards the coach.