13

Emily

Tom and I watched a movie together upstairs until it was time to eat. Everyone sat round the table except Ashton- he had a night shift.

"So Tom, what do you enjoy? Do you still do any clubs?" Calum asked.

"I still do football, but I also enjoy art and cooking,"

I rolled my eyes, knowing the list went on further than that. Calum grinned and started a conversation about football while I turned to Luke.

Calum and Tom knew each other the least, because Calum generally stepped in as the main role when I was isolated from everyone else.

"I'm not really hungry,"

"Eat five more forkfuls Emily, then have an apple and I won't make you have anything else,"

"Thankyou. How are you feeling?" I asked him. It felt important to make sure they were okay, particularly Luke because he was so gentle around me.

"I'm fine, we all are. Do you think you can go to school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, it wasn't that bad. You don't have to stay if that's easier,"

"Well it would be easier but I will stay if you want,"

"Ashton's not at work tomorrow so around lunch he could come and see you, if he's awake," Michael offered.

I nodded and looked down at the food, not wanting to eat it at all. My stomach churned and it wasn't appetising.

"How about, you just eat an apple," Luke offered, grabbing one from behind him.

After we all ate, Tom and I carried on our film but he had to leave once it was over. I hugged him bye then sat at the table alone. I wanted to find someone but it was so much energy.

"Emily! Come upstairs and eat chocolate with me," Michael called. I grinned slightly and got up, dragging myself up the stairs and into his room.

"You tired?" he asked, opening the duvet for me.

"And cold," I mumbled, climbing into the bed and huddling into the cover. He threw another one round my shoulder and chucked a bag of chocolate buttons at me.

"I could eat these all right now," I sighed, struggling to open the packet. I was so weak. Frustrating me, I passed it to Michael, who did it for me and grabbed a handful for himself.

"Go ahead, just don't make yourself sick,"

"Of all people, I expected you to say no,"

"It's not gonna hurt you this once," he laughed, turning the tv on. He hugged me against his body, gently rubbing my arm as I leant against his shoulder.

After a while, I got tired and went to bed. Luke came in, smiling as he saw me.

"I think you need a good rest, is everything ready for tomorrow? I want to wake you up as late as possible,"

"But what about breakfast?"

"You will have time for that," he laughed, squeezing my hand and taking my phone.

"Goodnight Emily,"

"Night,"

Sunlight pierced through my eyelids, making me pull my cover over my head immediately. Someone sat on my bed and gently shook my body before pulling the cover back. I whined, not wanting to get up. I didn't want to speak to anyone and even the thought of sitting up made me want to cry.

I had to go to school though, I wanted to go back to normal.

"Are you feeling well enough to go?" Luke asked quietly, feeling my forehead and brushing my hair away. I nodded and took his hand, waiting for a few minutes. I found the energy to sit up and opened my eyes, letting go of his hand.

"You have twenty minutes to get ready, I'll go and sort you out breakfast,"

I nodded and got changed, brushing my hair. I smelt pancakes coming from downstairs and went down, seeing Calum and Luke in the kitchen.

"Morning sunshine, did you sleep ok?" Calum asked, taking a plate of pancakes to the table.

"Yeah, I guess," I said, taking the plate Luke gave me. I sat next to Calum and started eating, barely managing one. I decided to carry on anyway, knowing I needed the food, then brushed my teeth and grabbed my bag. I was exhausted.

It was just task after task, like a robot.

Michael joined us and we all got in the car; they were dropping me off on the way.

"Ashton will be there at lunch so you can see him, is Tom at school? " Calum said, looking over to me.

"Yeah,"

"Have a good day,"

I met Tom and we talked about random things for a while. He was trying his best to keep my mind off things and could tell I was tired. Although I was getting better at figuring things out, my mind was foggy and it was hard for me to focus.

"You okay?" he asked, putting his hand on my back, "do you want fresh air?"

"Yeah,"

"Miss, we are just getting some air," he said, helping me stand.

"Let me see your work before,"

"We just need a moment,"

"Emily, you've written one paragraph this whole lesson. I expected more from you,"

"Miss, she's just having trouble focusing," Tom said, backing me up. She rolled her eyes, making me sit back down.

"Well she needs to knuckle down! Even Chris has done more and he doesn't put any effort in. I want to see this finished and on my desk by tomorrow,"

I felt the anger bubble up inside of me and I couldn't have been more thankful it was lunch next. Without waiting for Tom, I went to the office and found Ashton.

"Woah, Emily, calm down... what's wrong?" he said immediately, opening his arms. I fell into them and let the tears flow.

"I'm so stupid and I can't focus on any work,"

"You're not stupid love, and it's ok. Your teachers understand and it's normal, we can work it out,"

Tom walked in and sat the other side of Ashton.

"My English teacher doesn't understand," I said, trying to stop the tears.

"How come?"

"She wants Emily to have a finished answer on her desk tomorrow,"

"Well I will go and have a word with her and sort this out, ok? Have a drink and don't worry because it will be fixed,"

Shakily, I grabbed my waterbottle and took a sip, letting Tom put his arm round me. We waited for Ashton to come back, his hold gentle and warm.

"Thanks for sticking up for me,"

"That's what friends do," he teased, "I love you,"

"I love you too," I sniffed, hugging him back, "it's getting a little bit easier,"

"Good, you can text me whenever,"

"You aren't doing that work, I'm taking you home. Tomorrow, one of us will be having a meeting and we are setting the standards straight," Ashton said, picking up my bag. Tom squeezed me in a tight hug one last time before he left.

"I don't want a big fuss made, Ashton," I mumbled, leaning into his side tiredly.

"I know sweetheart, I'll try and make it as little as possible,"

I groaned in frustration, feeling an overwhelming amount of tiredness take over. He placed a gentle kiss on my head and opened my door, climbing into his side.

"Let's just go home,"